Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am trying to install dual boot systems on my computer. I have 2 drives, and I was hoping to get one system on each drive. I have win2000 on my master, and I want to install win98 on the slave. Win2k works fine. I have gotten to the point where win98 will run, but it does not recognize many drivers, and will not connect to nthe internet or network through my network card. The card is installed, and the system shows that it is working, but it will not recognize it. Win98 was the main OS on this unit, so it shouldn't be a hardware issue. Am I missing something?
William
frustrated clown

·
Registered
19 Posts
I do believe that windows 98/95 is a verry pickey operating system. It really REALLY wants to be installed on the C: drive of the system. In all the times that I have tried installing it on another drive, i can get it to boot but that is about it. similar problems to what you are experiencing. You should be able to change the slave master jumpers on your harddrive to move your win2k operating system. If all goes well, you shouldnt have to rinstall that one. Use a win98 boot disk and install windows 98 on your new C: drive. You might have to edit the boot.ini file to tell the BIOS where your operating systems reside. You probably dont want to hear it but i think it will be easier to just wipe both drives, install 98 and then install 2k on the D: drive. Will save you lots of headaches..

Good luck

·
Registered
306 Posts
pearljoejam said:
this will solve your problem - get a MAC ;D

lol
Right and the one advantage of a mac is ease of upgrade....
When you need to upgrade a mac, just throw it away and buy a new one...

Now thats convenience......

Oh, and all 6 games on the mac are awesome...

·
Registered
8,934 Posts
PowerWagon76 said:
I do believe that windows 98/95 is a verry pickey operating system. It really REALLY wants to be installed on the C: drive of the system. In all the times that I have tried installing it on another drive, i can get it to boot but that is about it. similar problems to what you are experiencing. You should be able to change the slave master jumpers on your harddrive to move your win2k operating system. If all goes well, you shouldnt have to rinstall that one. Use a win98 boot disk and install windows 98 on your new C: drive. You might have to edit the boot.ini file to tell the BIOS where your operating systems reside. You probably dont want to hear it but i think it will be easier to just wipe both drives, install 98 and then install 2k on the D: drive. Will save you lots of headaches..

Good luck
I agree. Another possibility for a dual boot is to scrap one HD(if you have the space) and partition the other HD.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Win2K is very fussy, If you are looking at dual booting you will have to start over. Install win98 first then install win2k. Also remember any applications will have to be installed for each o/s you can not install it once and expect the application to work with both o/s's. I would really take a look at why you need to dual boot. Win2k is much better and alot more stable that win98 will ever be.

my .02

·
Super Moderator
2,378 Posts
always remember to back up first!!!!!!!!!

actually i think you have to go into dos

at the command prompt type "edit msdos.sys"

is will bring up the that file in an editable mode

it will look like this

[Paths]
WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
HostWinBootDrv=C

[Options]
BootMulti=0
BootGUI=1
DoubleBuffer=1
;
;The following lines are required for compatibility with other programs.
;Do not remove them (MSDOS.SYS needs to be >1024 bytes).
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxa
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxb
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxc
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxd
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxe
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxf
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxg
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxh
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxi
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxj
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxk
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxl
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxm
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxn
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxp
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxq
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxr
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs
now you can see where the options for boot multi and then there is the bootgui which tells which is the default boot.

you can search on the internet as i do not remember exactly which goes to what....it has been a long time since i have set up a dual boot machine.

Hope that helps

Pat

and always remember to back up first!!!!!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts