Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I have a 1993 ramcharger with over 160k.
Ok my state ,California of course, is trying to get my truck off the road. Since april of this year the HC PPM emissions have been lowered to max at 25 mph is 36. My truck reads 50. At 15 mph max is 87 my truck reads 114. Co passed and No passed. Two years ago my truck passed and if the levels weren't lowered my truck would pass today. All my emissions stuff is only 2 years or so old and my mechanic says the truck is running as it should.
Any body want to buy it. Or any ideas how to pass this new lower emission tests?
Let me know. What a load of @#@#.

Thanks James

G

·
My old dodge was a california model too and i agree with you it is a load of @#$%, only it was back in the late 70's when we moved to missouri, the first thing to go it the smog pump, and my dad did a trick and he had only 4 cylinders actually tested for smog the other 4 clyinder went out without all of the smog crap

the only thing i could think of is if the engine was overhauled, cause a cleaner engine is better and probably might help but if it runs good theres no need too

if you have all the smog stuff on it, vapor caister, smog pump, ERG, i dont think theres much more you can do

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

Co was 26 at 15 mph and the limit is 43 and co was 09 at 25 mph and the limit is 53. The NO was 277 at 15 mph and limit is 501 and No was 77 at 25 mph and the limit is 527. The guy said my engine seems fine. It could be a miss I will have to look into it and maybe a new smog pump wouldn't hurt.

Thanks James

·
Registered
600 Posts
James.
I agree with the other guys that you have a miss fire some place, I would also consider the Cat and or a dripping injector. As far as Calif trying to get your truck off the road, my question is why would they. If they did they would loss revenue in taxes and fees. Since the inseption of OBDII the CO and NO limits have not been lowered that I know of, but then in Central Ca the smog rules are more relaxed. To get that info exactly right just call B.A.R or AQMD and ask for a phone number for a smog referee station in your area, they are get guys, give lots of info. Even found a few to be gear heads. And I am sure they can help with your delema with you not passing smog. And remeber it may suck big time to have to comply with smog laws, but this is the only planet we got and our kids have got to live and breath the crap we leave behind. And a poor running truck be it Ramchager or other isnt helping anyone. Besides switch to propane, will always pass, may get waivers for it, a little cheaper on cost, lower operation costs, and steps into the "cool" factor when people look under the hood 8) ;D
REB

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi

Thanks. If the engine is burning it I can't tell between oil changes. I think the plug wires are Jacobs and the cap is new. Maybe I have a bad wire. I will have a project for the weekend.
James

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The reason I say that they want if off the road, so they can get more the consumer to spend more money on a new car and pay higher fees. Also get better mpg. I have no problem with keeping the cars / trucks running the way they should. All mine are stock. At one point if the car/truck was over 25 years old it got a pass. I think they need more of a system to inspect the car/truck every few years to see if the lights work , has doors ect. Living in Cal we saw a guy driving in the rain with his wiper in his hand and wiping while driving on the 405, this is not urban mith our whole family saw this crazy thing.

Thanks James

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
While I do have sympathy, let's try to keep this discussion towards actually fixing the problem. None of us can revoke any of these higher standards, so let's try to see if we can find/fix a problem and keep another dodge on the road.

Others are going to tell you about these gimmicks/tricks like alcohol, oil changes, driving on the highway. Truth of the matter is, sometimes you need more. That will only knock you down by a few points.

Don't let anyone fool you into thinking you are just a lil rich. You are not very rich, especially at 25mph, as indicated by CO.

May have to check the catalyst efficiency by removing the O2 sensor and doing a pre and post gas analysis (I mean a shop) or you can use an infrared thermometer to insure the outlet is atleast 100* hotter than the inlet. If inlet is hotter, you may be looking at a plugged cat, if they are close to the same you may be looking at dead cat.

Fact of the matter is, you should never have NOX CO and HC both exiting the pipes unless the cat is not doing it's job properly. The cat should be ripping up the NOX and adding the oxygen from NOX to the HC and CO to form close to 0 NOX  along with close to 0 CO and HC. To have all 3 exiting the pipes indicates cat isn't doing it's job properly.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi

Sorry I wondered a little.
That's sucks. The cat is only 3 years old and not that many miles. I will see about the cat and the misfire over the weekend if not I will have to take it to the shop and see what they want to tell me.

Thanks James

·
Registered
69 Posts
:( I believe that if you have failed you have to go to a smog repair center. There are to kinds of smog centers here, one is test only and one is repair, could be wrong but I think you have to get it fixed at a repair center. Also if you don't have the money even though this crazy state is broke they will give you up to 599.00 dollars for your repairs as long as you own your car,truck, can't be a transfer.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I was always told they can't change the smog limits; if it meets the standard for the year of the vehicle that was in effect AT THE TIME IT WAS MANUFACTURED that is what they HAVE TO go by.
otherwise everyone would HAVE TO retrofit a bunch of parts to get their vehicles to pass/ newer eng, newer computer, injectors etc.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi All

I pulled my plugs and found plug 1 and 8 a little gas on them. So I think it is time for new injectors.

James

1 - 14 of 14 Posts