Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first stud or bolt on the left side of my 318 broke off. I was able to get it drilled out and attempted using an easy out. Unfortunately the easy out snapped of course and after a day of drilling I was able to get it out I believe. I still can't get whats left of the bolt out though and the hole I originally drilled looks like it might be a bit off center now. Would it be possible to use the hole in the exhaust manifold as kind of a guide to drill a slightly larger hole and tap it? I'm worried about drilling into the water jacket and ruining my head. How much metal is around the bolt hole and how much larger can I make the hole before running the risk of drilling into the water jacket?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
The stud already goes into the water jacket, so no danger of doing that.

·
Administrator
62,284 Posts
No, You have plenty of meat around the diameter. Your idea of using the manifold as a guide, is good, as long asd the drill size you need, is snug in the hole. If you need to, a small piece of copper or plastic tubing can be pushed around the drill, to make it snug in the manifold hole.  Make sure all the other bolts are holding the manifold tight before you start drilling.

I'm sure you know, but just reinforcing, you want the hole as centered as possible, and as straight to the manifold hole as possible. AS you are picturing, a crooked hole can be hard to get the manifold on. Although I did install the stud, then carefully bent it enough to get the manifold on, But its better to get the hole right to begin with.

Tough to find, but they do make studs with different size threads, Example, 3/8 on one end, and 5/16 on the other. So that could be an option if you end up with a hole too large fro the thread size you want.

Also, be sure there is no pieces of the easy out still in the hole. If there is, you can take a punch, and pound them into the water jacket (assuming you drilled the first hole all the way through0.

The old saying of measure twice, cut once applies here, think the plan out all the way before you start drilling.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
yep , ya can't drill an easy out with a "normal" drill bit , step studs 3/8ths to 5/16ths are available , end holes in heads of L/A's do go into water jacket , I drill them ALL the way thru , then  seal whatever you do wind up putting back into the hole . 

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dodge82273 said:
yep , ya can't drill an easy out with a "normal" drill bit , step studs 3/8ths to 5/16ths are available , end holes in heads of L/A's do go into water jacket , I drill them ALL the way thru , then seal whatever you do wind up putting back into the hole .
I finally got the bolt repaired. You were right about normal drill bits. I went through about fifteen cheep harbor freight bits and even tried a more pricey titanium bit. Neither worked. What actually ended up getting it out was a Dremel with a long small diameter stone and about a half hour of grinding. Got the hole drilled out a little more after that then threaded it again and screwed the new stud in.
I should probably take it back out though because I didn't seal it with anything, I just screwed it in. What would you recommend sealing it with?

Thank you SuperBurban, you've been a lot of help for me in the last few weeks.

Thanks.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Good to know you got her! High temp silicone gasket maker should work I would presume, engine builders around here use Great Stuff for everything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.