Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 89 Power Ram won't start! Truck had been running fine, went out to go do a bit of trail crawling the other day and it turns over fine, but wouldn't pop, boom, bang or Fart. There is fuel to the throttle body, but injectors won't fire. I also have no spark! I am assuming at this point it is the computer. I saw something in the Chilton manual about an Auto shut down relay, bu there is no info on it. Any thoughts would be great!

Thanks, Kaleb

·
Registered
132 Posts
does it have a ballast resistor,when mine went out it would turn over great but no start changed the ballast it started right up

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Ditto on checking the ballast resistor (if it has one) It's a small white ceramic resistor on your fire wall. It should be on the drivers side, and when they go (not uncommon) you get no spark. It's cheap and easy to check. Other than that, maybe start with checking your pick-up coil and it's connections.

Dan

·
7,995 Posts
Do this, disconnect the negative battery cable for a bit to clear all codes out of the computer, re-connect it and try to start...it should'nt, but what I want you to do is check the codes and look for a Code 11. If that code pops up than the pick-up in the distributor is bad. The ASD will shut down if it sees NO pulses from the distributor. You should get a code 12 to start with and a code 55 at the end of code reading...the code 11 should appear in between them.

Turn the ignition switch ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON and observe the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. The CHECK ENGINE LIGHT should begin to flash a series of codes. The flashes will be separated by short an long pauses. The long pauses separate the "ones" and "tens" positions, and each code from the next. A code 55 will be displayed at the end of the test.

Pickup asm should look like this?

·
2,317 Posts
da man is back! how ya feeling? that was a quick recoverery.

·
7,995 Posts
bigdog440 said:
da man is back! how ya feeling? that was a quick recoverery.
I'm doin ok, but I havnt recovered yet. I'm bored. Need something to keep me goin. I'll probably take tomorrow off also and go back for limited duty on Tuesday. This new type of surgery they put 4 slices in my belly at various locations and use a camera and cutters,etc through the slits...then they suck the gallbladder out near my belly button :eek:

·
2,317 Posts
i know about being bored. been off work since june 1st with at one time or another both wrists. but 4 little cuts are better than the old way with the big ol cut.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts