Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a problem with my truck, it won't come out of first gear. (it's a 4-speed manual with overdrive). I took it to a tranny shop and they said that the shifter is broken, does anybody know where I can get a shifter. Is there an aftermarket shifter that will work ? The guy at the tranny shop said that he won't put a used shifter on it, cause I will just be back later with the same problem. I need help I need to get this truck back on the road for thanksgiving ( Oct 11th here in Canada) . I am located in Windsor Ontario if anyone knows of a local supplier.

Thanks
Mike White

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
I think your best bet is going to be a junkyard or a welder... :-\

-SM

·
Registered
30,125 Posts
is it the 86 with the A-833 / if it is tell the A_hole to shove it and get under it and put a bushing kit in it / its not the shifter its just the bushings are worn out / its a easy job / the shifter has a hole in it that a 1/8 inch allen key fits in and holds it in neutral / then you put the bushing kit in and adjust the whole thing and yer done / /M shame on you for not knowing that

·
7,995 Posts
DODGEBOYS said:
is it the 86 with the A-833 / if it is tell the A_hole to shove it and get under it and put a bushing kit in it / its not the shifter its just the bushings are worn out / its a easy job / the shifter has a hole in it that a 1/8 inch allen key fits in and holds it in neutral / then you put the bushing kit in and adjust the whole thing and yer done / /M shame on you for not knowing that
DODGEBOYS..where does one get the bushing kit, where do the bushings actually go and does this look like the correct adj procedure?

Adjustments
FOUR SPEED OVERDRIVE

1. Install gear shift lever aligning tool to hold levers in neutral crossover position.
2. With all rods removed from transmission shift levers, place levers in neutral detent position.
3. Adjust threaded shift rod levers so they enter transmission levers freely without any rearward or forward movement. Start with 1-2 shift rod. It may be necessary to pull clip at shifter end to rotate this rod.
4. Install washers and clips, then remove aligning tool and check linkage operation.

Fig. 1 Gearshift linkage adjustment. Four-speed overdrive

·
Registered
30,125 Posts
man yer good CHUMP

all the shifters were made by Hurst / so if you get the universial shifter repair KIT that fits all / you get a ton of parts
http://www.mrgasket.com

one MASSHOLE
two names
DODGEBOYS
BOGGER35

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions and help guys. I ended up buy a new shifter from the dealer (don't ask how much it cost) . Yes the shifter was shot, it needed more than the bushings. Man what a difference a new shifter makes. It's like a totally new truck. Man I love a 4-speed std.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts