Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading up in old posts about doing body lifts and have one question not answered.

When doing a 2 inch body lift will I have to modify any of the stock linkages? (steering, gear shifts, ???)

This will be a first for me on a body lift. I just finished replacing the front end running gear, seals and all of the u-joints from bumper to bumper. The body lift will be my next project.

If anyone can also give me an estimated time frame to allow myself I would appreciate that too.

Thanks for your input

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
The 2 inch lift is minor enough that you may not need to make many mods, but then again....

The three most common things to modify for a body lift are;

1) Fan Shroud, When you lift the body, you'll be lifting the location of the radiator, but the engine mounted fan will remain in the same location. This can cause some interference between the fan and the fan shroud. Before you start lifting, remove the shroud, and then when you are done with the installation, you'll need to cut part of the bottom of the shroud to clear the fan

2) Steering shaft, When you lift the body of the truck, the steering shaft will now operate at a greater angle than before. Most run a u-joint and rag joint combo at the ends. The u-joint is more than flexable enough for the greater angle, but the rag joint isn't a flexable enough coupling. The added angle will over time cause the rag joint to fail, and you may notice some binding when you steer. The best possible solution is to get rid of the rag joint in favor of another u-joint. There is a way to do this yourself with factory available parts in the How To section of this site, or you can go with an aftermarket Borgeson steering shaft.

3) Shift Linkage, since most trucks came with an automatic, it's sometimes nessary to extend the shift linkage at the firewall. Many body lifts come with a piece of metal that you're supposed to weld in to extend it, but a 2inch lift may be short enough that this might not be nessary, (But then again, I could be wrong on this) A member here suggested using cable clamps and a short section of metal to extend the shift linkage, but another alternative is to install a cable operated floor shifter.

In some instances it maybe nessary to extend the brake lines between the master cylinder and the frame mounted proportioning valve, a 2 inch body lift may not require this mod.

Other things you may consider modifying is Bumper relocation. Some people do not care about the space created between the body and the bumpers, but if you want to keep the truck looking stock, you will need to relocate the bumpres to match the body. This could be done by redrilling the mounting holes or fabricating new bumper tabs. Most body lifts do not correct the bumpers.

An estimate for time, begin now by soaking all the body bolts in WD-40, PB Blaster or some other good quality penetrating oil. Let it soak for a few days, before you turn a bolt. This will make it much easier when you actually start the lift. Give yourself a weekend to do it (It actually takes a couple of hours to complete, depending on the condition of the body bolts) .

Enjoy, Ed

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ed,
I'm just finishing the front end today and I'll buy my kit this weekend for the lift. I appreciate the detail of your answer, that helps me a lot. This is going to be a fun project for me. I got this 77 PwrWgn off a Buick used car lot - not a dent or scratch and the interior is perfect. As soon as I figure a way I will post some pics. John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts