Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got a 92 ford taurus LX. it has a 3.0v6 in it. I need help debating if this is a fuel pump problem. I was at Mc Donalds about a week or 2 ago,and it stalled out. Then wont restart. I could here the fuel pump turn on, but not off. And there was a loud noise coming from a computer under the hood. So i chanded the computer and did the same thing. Now, nothing turns on. So, im assuming its the fuel pump. Has anyone changed one in a taurus? And is there anything i need to expect? Thanks for the help with the ford.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Ford you said the golden word. Replace the ignition module before you go after the fuel pump. Most of the no starts with ford ignition systems are a fried module. The module also in a way comtrols the fuel pump. If theres no signal from the module the computer doesnt kick the pump or the injectors. Every ford or jeep (ford ignitions up to 86) ive ever owned including my Cherokee Ive had problems with the ignition module. Wyatt

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where is the module on that? im not to familiar with fords.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Atatched to the distributor its the "Box" that all the wires hook to on the bottom. (Not the spark plug wires the small ones) sorry if thats over simplistic. :( It takes a thin wall 5.5 mm socket to remove and can be a PITA to get to without removing the distributor :-X I can take a picture of one in the morning if needed {wave}

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm, idk what im going to do

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have replaced a fuel pump on a 94 Taurus 3.0L. It wasn't tough at all. Done in about 2 hours.
You said that after changing the computer... "Now, nothing turns on." --- When you turn the key to "Run", do you at least get dash lights (oil, seatbelt, check engine)? Does the engine turn over?
If it turns over, then I would spray some carb cleaner directly into the throttle body while someone turns the key. If it starts this way, then check fuel filter 1st & fuel pump 2nd.
Also check the Throttle Positioning Sensor. You can clean them instead of buying new ones (had to do this too).
Email me if you have any questions. I'll do whatever I can to help.
[email protected]

Gonzo

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i put the old computer back on and it still did the weird sound, but after alittle while it just started doing nothing. I put starting fluid in it, and it would run. When i turn the key on, everything has power except fuel pump

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
another thing to possibly check would be the emergency fuel shutoff mounted in the trunk. They had a bad habit of tripping on their own. But I don't recall weird computer noises when that happens.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
If i runs whit starting fluid most likely its a fuel related problem not ignition. So sorry bout sending you off on a wild goose chase on that one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts