Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys this really blows...
I recently got some new 4.11 gears front and back, and about 3 days later my overdrive just stops working. It is engaged electronically through the cruise control, but I went through all that and no luck...
There was no big crash, clunk, thunk or freezup of any kind, and the overdrive actually kicked in once while decelerating on the OFF ramp a few weeks ago. It has not engaged since, and I have suspicions it is in the electrical engagement in the tranny.
Does this sound right? How does the tranny engage the overdrive? and does this sound like an expensive repair?

also, I did drive through a flooded street the day before it failed, could that have shorted out something in the tranny?

Please Help as I am looking to sell this beast to someone who can appreciate its more off-road nature as I use it as a DD to college and work, and the fact it has no overdrive is unnacceptable for resale in my opinion.

·
7,995 Posts
Have you checked or pulled off all the electrical connectors on the tranny and have you followed the wiring harness up towards the engine to make sure it's in proper shape? Spray WD-40 in the connectors when you have them apart.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I only found one, (connection) and I fiddled with that a little while with no luck. It is on the left side, and the wire is very small.

Is it just a set current that runs to the tranny to engage it, or is it some fancy shmancy digital code or something?

As a note: there is a little box with a circuit board that I took apart but using the voltage checker it only seems to delay the current coming off of the cruise control/speedo doodad in the engine bay.
(I tried directly puting the current from the cruise control thingy to the wire, but no luck.)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there supposed to be a little electric box, or is it not needed? Is the overdrive engaged directly by the electric wire, or does that just tell it it can engage now?

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
steveinaz said:
is your tranny a 88? i thought they were hydralicly accuated in 88.the only electronics should be for lock-up.
I though they were hyd lock up, electronic overdrive...or some were non lock up overdrive.
Lock up solenoids need two wires, OD engagement is only one wire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts