Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a full-time D-44 8-lug in my RC, and I decided to switch it to part time. I had a part time '73 chevy to get the knuckles and stuff off of. I noticed that the inner axles were longer on the chevy so I used the ones that were already in the full time axle. Now that I am puting it back together the driver's side inner axle is sticking out too far, about 1/4", and binding up on the knuckle. The axle might have always been too long like this every since I bought it, I haven't drove it very much. I guess what my question is, is can I just take this axle to a machine shop and have a 1/4" cut off of it? All of my tape measures have seem to have run away from home, so I haven't got a chance to measure the axle yet, but I will get a measurement and maybe I can figure out if this is even the right axle.
Thanks.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Are you sure that you have them in all the way? It can be kinda tricky to get the axle shafts to go in all the way.

·
Registered
194 Posts
That is the first thing that I thought, but I took everything back apart and cleaned all of the splines and measured about how far the axle should slide in after hitting the splines, and it does slide all the way in and I can feel the end of the axle bottom out in the carrier. The only thing that I can think of is maybe the knuckle on the full-time axle stuck out a little further from the housing therefore using a longer inner axle???

·
Registered
291 Posts
the knuckle wouldn't stick out any futher, since the point of axis where the axle u-joint pivots has to be on the same plane as the point that the balljoints pivot.
the way i wrote that probably sounds confusing

1 - 4 of 4 Posts