Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok my computer has been running kinda of slow so i wanted to defrag it, but evertime i try to do it, It will start to read the Drive, but then restart with the message "Drive Contents Change, Restarting" so in other word it will not even run continuely enough to start to defrag.

I have tried close all programs but it did not change it.

I also tried runing in safe made with no luck.

I went through some of the help stuff and found that this is caused by a program contiuing running and writing in you hard drive, but i don't think anything is running.

also undid the internet with no help.

well any ideas would be appreaciated

thanx

·
Super Moderator
2,405 Posts
if you let me know what Operating system you are running I will give you more specific instructions, but here is a general list of steps

use control alt del to bring up the close program box. then close every thing in there except for explorer. Explorer is actually the operation system. then turn off your screen saver and make sure that the power conservation mode is turn to always on (or that the power conservation is disabled)

Hope that helps

Pat

G

·
Try running scandisk first with the automatically fix errors box checked. I had the same problem once and this helped. It still did it but not as much, I just let the program run and it eventually finished.

·
Registered
425 Posts
That probably wont work. Try finding Norton Utilities. I've used that in the past in those situations.

Usually when someone comes to me with a drive in that bad of condition, I recommend a re-format re-install of the OS. (and sell them an upgrade to XP or 2000 ;D )

G

·
You have a good point NyQuil. I remember borrowing Norton Utilities once and using it. It worked great and now that you have reminded me of it I'm gonna go get the newest version of it. I would've recommended that first if I had remembered it. Ignore my earlier post in this thread. ;D

·
Registered
577 Posts
I also agree with Nyquil....your best bet is to go get latest version of Norton Utilites and use it. Defrag that comes with any windows product is okay if you use it regularly every few days, but it sounds like you haven't run any defrag application for quite some time. You can pick up norton utilities at any computer store for usually less than $50.

When you get norton you will want to run Norton Disk Doctor (scandisk) first, and then Norton Speed Disk (defrag). If you haven't done defrag for a while, this could take several hours, depending on the size of your hard drive.

my .02.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
woops been kinda busy latly, but i got it firgured out.

thankyou Pat88

i did the ctrl del thing and then it worked perfect thanx for everones elses input too

·
Registered
752 Posts
HMMM...just to show "confuser" illiterate I am, I've never de-fragged my computer. :eek: Just recently told about doing this. :( Now I need someone to go through the basic steps for me please. I'm running Windows Millenium on an HP 7855 with Intel 3. Thanks in advance. Also, my girlfriends kid uses this comp. too and now there is a window icon next to my AOL icon at the bottom center of screen that looks like a little purple trumpet. It comes on automatically when I sign on and i says "connected" but I can't see what it is. Won't open when I click on it and I can't close it with the "right-click". What is it?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Okay, got defrag figured out (thanks dodge88). Comp. works fine for about fifteen minutes or so then begins to bring up new windows in sections (i.e. header comes up, then partial info then maybe a banner etc.). Tone of tower (?) seems to change when it begins doing this. Also, what is "clearing your cache"? :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts