Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 85 dodge 2WD full size pick-up. It has a 360 4bbl 727 combo. I know the gears in the rear are 2.xx somthing I dont remeber exactly. I plan to use the truck mainly for hauling and towing and I just want more pep and grunt from it, it is bone stock right now with only 60k on the clock. And its mostly a turd, especially up hilIs and off the line. I wouldnt think of using it to pull my stock trailer right now. I have driven the truck from Edmonton,AB all the way to Texas last summer.

So far I have aquired a 670 CFM Holley street avenger carb for cheap. I still need to buy everything else, I just wanted to get some of your opinions before I dropped the cash. I will throw all of it on when I get back home from Iraq in March.

I was thinking of changing the gears to 3.90's or 4.10s, installing headers and duel exhaust, and then putting a aftermarket aluminum intake and removing all of the emissions crap. I figured that would give me what I am looking for. Sound like a good plan? If I do all of this will I get any computer codes? I thought that this truck was a little old to have a computer though. But I dont know much about the older dodge trucks.

If any of you can give me a idea of the best mods and the best places to buy them I would apprecate it. It would be a milestone for this truck to be able to spin the tires. ;D

Thank you for your time,
Jeff

P.S Can somone tell me what rear I have in it? I am pretty sure its a 9.25 but I need to know asap so I can order the gears and have my wife take it to get them installed. Any particular brand I should get?

·
Registered
77 Posts
9.25 is shaped exactly like a stop sign.
I've got an 85, 1/2ton, 2wd, longbed, 318/727 I think it has what I think is a 8 3/8(could be wrong)

G

·
If it were me, I'd go with 3.55 gears which came stock in some 85's. Others may have a different opinion on those numbers, but I think that ratio makes a pretty good compromise between towing, hauling and not having to stop at every gas station along the way. I'd also do the headers and the exhaust, but I would save a little money by sticking with the stock cast intake and carb. I would even consider a mild "RV" cam. Maybe even upgrade the ignition with an MSD box.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had my wife peek underneath the truck and she said it had 10 bolts around the cover. Does that mean its a 8 3/4? So any gear for a 8 3/4 will do?

Thanks for the replies. I hadnt thought about a MSD. Somtimes they can be had for cheap, I think I will add one to the list. Stay with the stock intake? I figured a performer or somthing would give me a bit better overall performance and HP. What is the best brand of headers? I see Hedman makes them for my truck.

G

·
The key word there is a bit. The Performer and Holley will set you back about 500 bucks when all is said and done. Performance gains over the stock cast intake and carb are only minimal at best. I know other people will disagree, but the stock intake and carb flow plenty good enough for a mild engine. If you're looking to build a hot street motor for streetlight racing, then by all means, go for the aftermarket setup. Every little bit helps and you don't count the cost. For what you want, you can put that 500 bucks towards a good set of ceramic coated headers and free flow exhaust and be money ahead.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
ok it is not going to be an 8.75 setup, the 8.75 did not have any bolts in the rear cover, as it did not have a rear cover, it had a drop out center section from the front.

it is most likely an 8.375, and it most likely has 2.92 gears in it right now, which, while good for mileage, sucks for towing.

i would tend to agree with primergrey on this one and reccomend the 3.55 gears, that is what i have in my rc and have never had a problem towing naything i ever wanted.

also for a mild build on the engine i would agree and say go with the stock manifold on that 360. tht 670 carb should be ok with what you have, i would also reccomend a decent set of headers with dual exhaust, and possibly a mild RV cam.

should set you up just fine

eric

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool. yea thats a some dough saved for mods. I will stick with the stock intake and will save me some work. I wouldnt like to tear into the engine unless it would give me a huge gain. Who do you reccomend for headers?

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Check around and see if ya can find a 9 1/4" rear end with 3.55's. I think that was the single best thing i've ever done to my truck. (it had 3.23's). I made the mistake of putting on an eddy performer intake and have had nothing but headaches, so I'm currently looking for a factory 4bbl 360 intake.

I bought my 3.55's for $150. That was for a complete rotor-rotor Dana 44 front, and drum-drum 9.25 rear. They are out of an '88, but bolted right into my '79. The deals are out there and interchangeability usually isn't that big of a problem. You have an '85, which prolly has the bigger wheel bolt pattern - 5 on 5 1/2". I think 84 and older have the smaller one. That's something you'll hafta be aware of.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats a good idea I will look into it, but then I have to wait till I got back to hit the bone yards

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Check the classifieds section of this site. That'd be a good place to start. What part of texas r u n? I mean when you aren't in baghdad? Welcome to the site and keep yer head down.

·
Registered
99 Posts
MudFlap said:
You have an '85, which prolly has the bigger wheel bolt pattern - 5 on 5 1/2". I think 84 and older have the smaller one. That's something you'll hafta be aware of.
FYI - I've got an 84 with a 9.25 rear and my bolt pattern is 5 on 5 1/2.

Keep your eye on Ebay when you find some headers you may be interested in. They might be out there. Also, you can pick up some flowmasters at a decent price on Ebay. Check the shops in your area first though.

Good Luck! Sounds like you're on the right track.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
slgunnel, you have a 4x4

heres the scoop.

1980-up 4x4 has 5.5" pattern
1985 1/2-up 2wd is 5.5"

what this means is if you happen to come across a 4.5" rear (either 4x4 or 2wd, same thing) you convert the front to 4.5 with pre 85 2wd rotors up front.

btw, hurry back safe mr jeff.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for the info Joe! Always good to learn something new.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Yeah. So put that in your pipe and smoke it!!! ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Something you asked that wasn't addressed......
"Computer codes" on an '85... that's not an issue.
You prolly know your truck really well, but I gotta question the 60,000 miles on an 85 truck. Could it really be 160,000?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry for replying so late on this one...

Well the truck is actually a Canadian spec truck, speedo is in Km's, it even has no cats from the factory. As for the 60K it mostly sat in a older gentlemans garage for most of its life, when my father in law boiught it when he had the chance for a good price. I wanna say that the odometer has the ability to go up to 999,999 K's but its been almost a year since I have seen it so I dont remember exactly. But the truck has just a bit of surface rust on it where somone had put some dumb stickers on it at one time. Its in really good shape.

I am still looking for the rears, I am even in the need for some new leaf springs as these are sagging real bad when my wife hooked the empty stock trailer up to it. I might as well grab the whole shebang.
Thanks for the help guys!
Jeff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts