Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a NP435 bolted to a 203,I'm going to bolt the 435 to a 208,I know the housing that bolts the two together are different,but I got that housing I need to know if the output shaft from the 435 is different from a 203 to a 208?? If so does anybody have any pictures of the differences,my buddy has a 435 from a Dodge but don't know what t-case it was in front of,I'm wanting to say a 208,if so then I'm saved but if not then I'll be needing a shaft ASAP Try and help me out as much as possible please guys,I'm going to need to be bolting this stuff together soon.

Jimmy

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
You know, William has a page on this. Where that page is I don't know. You could try to IM him or hope he reads this.

It is a different main shaft, and to change it requires complete disassembly of the trans. That much I remember.

I thought of doing the same thing but then I figured why get rid of a great working 203.

Brian

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well....you do have a point CR. I don't like the 203 because its chain drive and always turning. I have a part-time frontend and if I had a 203 then even if the hubs were unlocked the 203 would be sending power to the R&P which in turn moves the front axle shafts and my carrier is welded together,so my hubs when unlocked will be catching hell all the time so I figured the 208 would be a much better set-up for now while I search for that mated 205. I'll IM William to,thanks man!

Jimmy

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
IMO, theres nothing wrong with having chain drive. The one in the 203 is pretty hefty. You also have the option to convert the t-case to part-time 4wd. The conversion is relatively cheaper than replacing the t-case and changing the output shaft.

Ed

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I think I can help here. The information you need is here:

http://wlrgroupco.com/auto/trans_tcase.htm

In a nutshell, the 203 shaft is about an inch shorter than the 205/208 one. You can bolt your 435 to the 208, and it will work, but for how long? Losing 1" of spline could kill you quickly, usually at the worst possible time. Changing the shaft is not a real big deal, although it does require the disassembly of the bulk of the tranny. Thankfully they are a simple and forgiving trans, and don't require any special tools (unless you call snap ring pliers special...). Somewhere in the back of my uhaul I do have a spare 205/208 shaft, but it could take some time before I can get to it. As for little parts, gaskets and the like for the 435, you are best off to go to a good tranny supply shop. Getting 435 parts from the Dodge dealer is hit and miss, although I have had good luck getting parts at the Ford dealer for some reason. Pay particular attention to the low gear/mainshaft "springs" (part 115 on this diagram:http://wlrgroupco.com/auto/np435diagram.jpg) as they will disentegrate and you will never know that they were ever there, at least not until you try and get into 1st gear.
A quick note on the 203 tcase; IMO, it is great. No, it isn't gear drive, but the chain is rugged (as is the whole case), and having the FT option is the greatest idea ever. I will never own another 4x4 without full time (as I reach for my flame retardant suit...), but I won't turn this into a FT vs PT thread.
If you do opt to use the 203, there are 2 things you must know (other than the obvious, like change the seals and chain if you can before you install it):
1: Use synthetic 10/30 motor oil in it (use synth gear oil in the axles and trans also, it will save you money in the long run). I use Mobil 1, overkill, maybe, but it runs cool and gets great mileage. On the topic of mileage, on my last trip (3500 miles) I averaged 12.5 mpg towing a 3400lb car (total combined weight over 9300 lbs, yes I weighed it!). The truck is a 75 RC, stock, unrebuilt 440, np435/203 w/33" and 3.54 gears. FT trucks can get decent mileage!
2: Before you install your 203, check that the "loc" lever detent is working. These cases got bad raps for popping out of loc, and if you have a pre "loc indicator light" year, you might not notice until you are stuck. If you can disconnect the shifter and move the loc lever back and forth without feeling the click of the detent, it will pop out of loc on you. The shifter does not hold it. There is a plug on the top of the 203 that you can remove, and inside it is a spring and a ball. If the spring has flattened out over time, it will need to be replaced, as well the ball may worn or missing (remove it with a magnet). I didn't check this, and now my 203 pops out of loc. I have to remove the tcase to fix it, as there is no access to the top when it is in the truck. Sorry to go off topic on this, but it is a big deal if you stuff it up like I did. Grrrr.... Anyway, I hope this helps.
william

1 - 5 of 5 Posts