Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She's been running fine, and I even drove her this morning. When i got home i parked in the driveway and came in for a few hours. I went back out to check out something on the carb, i pulled off the aircleaner, and started it, and there's a terrible interior sounding, hollow sounding, metal on metal sounding tapping, clanking sound. It's not rythmic (quite the contrary), and I really think it's in the oil pan. I put a hand on the pan and had my dad turn the key, and it could have been my imagination or reverberation, but i think i felt the rattle in there. Is this for sure a thrown rod? What am i looking at to fix it (cost, experience level, time... the works)?

This is really gonna ruin my day. I called up my uncle, the family wrench, and he listened to it breifly through the phone, and told us that it is a thrown rod or else the harmonic balancer could have come loose again, but it sounds hollow not solid, so i'm eliminating that balancer. He's coming by iehter later today or tomorrow...

Man this blows... I want to know...

thanks ahead of time... even if you're bearing bad news...

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
probabaly a rod knocking. You wouldn't throw a rod without knowing it and especially from just parking it. Drain the oil out and see how nasty it is. If its gray. time for a rebuild

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds really loose (the rattle), not like just a knock. I'l admit, coming up the highway to my house I kinda kicked it down and went to outrun an attempted pass by a ford tempo. It could be possible that I didn't notice the noise after that (it's only about an 8th mile from there to my house) and shut off the engine quickly in the driveway without noticing...

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Now the truth comes out. I had a feeling you being 17 that there was a little hot rodding going on. Well whatever it is sounds like the engine is coming out either way.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Lol how is your oil psi? did it lose power? maybe the flex plate is now broken? Tape it and link it here so we can all hear it!!!

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll see about taping it... could someone host it?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Lol is that the only question you seen? Hmmm hosting it? i don't know, you can e-mail it to us

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw all your questions ED-3, but I don't have the answers. I'm not willing to run in long enough to check the Oil pressure, and I didn't know there was a problem before so I wasn't really looking. I didn't notice a power reduction, but I just had to slow down and turn into my driveway pretty much.
And so no, Marty, that wasn't the only question I seen.

I got it recorded, roughly. It wasn't in a starting mood and I didn't want to gas it, so It's a recording of me turning it over and cranking it a bit, and the noise is definately still there. Who will host and link this for me (and what's your email addy?)?

derek

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
No one see's that | E-Mail | button at the bottom of the post should be just below where i typed inthe e-mail addy

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
The easiest way to see is to drop the oil pan :-\

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Lol that is the noiseiest rod i have ever heard under starter cranking, going by the sound and clarity i am going to say it's something else, i could be wrong but it just seems to go on too long after the starter stops, im going with my 1st answer that is my final answer Regis

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Actually you should have a hole, if not atleast a nice dent from the inside

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
lol it almost sounds like a cow bell, check your converter bolts

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have heard both a broken flywheel (which i broke in my stepvan), and a bad harmonic blancer(which broke in my friends car) and they both sounded so bad that i swore it was something major going on. Check the rubber on the harmonic balancer to see if it is bad and if it is a flywheel you will see it move quite a bit when the truck is running. Pray for a harmonic balancer for it is a quick and easy change!!!!

Rodney

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Oh it should be shaking alittle idling

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
My '79 had a bad flex plate that sounded like a nod rockin. I drove it for 3 years like that. finally had to overhaul the tranny (I drove it on a bad tranny for 3 yrs too). A new flex plate fixed that knock. I love 727's. They are bulletproof.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Damn i just heard the audio clip. Good possibilty of a backed out flex plate bolt or a broken flex plate or a broken rod. Check the oil and see what it looks like.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Lol or there is a cow in the oil pan

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.