Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1990 RC 5.9L auto 4x4. i think i  figured out the morse code thing. I found the cheat sheet on what they mean and I still need a little help.
codes:
12 - battery was disconnected recently... I can handle this one
51 -O2 sensor...do i replace it or what?
37 - this one doesnt make sense to me since my rig is non-turbo 1990. I cant find a code that applys.

What could cause these codes at the same time? Is there an obvious master fix?
Only noticeable symptom is a loud clicking sound under moderate to heavy acceleration. if i baby it there is no noise. The noise doesnt seem to come from the engine though.
Help.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I don't think 37 is anything you'll be able to rectifiy, someone should be able to clear that up for us though.

37 Shift indicator light failure, 5-speed
OR
part throttle lock/unlock solenoid driver circuit (87-89)
OR
solenoid coil circuit (85-89 Turbo I-IV)
OR
Trans temperature sensor voltage low (1995 and on; see NOTE 2)

Check the connections for the O2 sensor, and possibly replace.

51 Oxygen sensor stuck at lean position (Bob Lincoln wrote: may be tripped by a bad MAP sensor system causing a rich condition, and the O2 sensor trying to compensate. The O2 sensor may still be good. The MAP assembly consists of two pieces, the valve and the vacuum transducer (round plastic unit with cylinder on top and both electrical and vacuum connections) - If you get hot rough idle and stalling, especially on deceleration, accompanied by flooded engine and difficulty restarting, that can be a bad MAP sensor causing the O2 sensor to try to compensate. If you get poor cold driveability, stumbling and bucking, and acceptable warm driving with poor gas mileage (a drop of 10 mpg or more), that is usually the O2 sensor. [Webmaster note: MAP sensors seem to die regularly.]

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
which two codes????????? if codes 12 and 37 and running good then you are golden. just ignore code 37

·
Registered
29,328 Posts
Vehicle:  1988 - 1993 Dodge W150 5.2L
  1989 - 1993 Dodge W150 5.9L

Symptom:  Running rich with black smoke coming from the exhaust. Code 51. 

System:  Emissions/PCM/Fuel 

Codes:  51 

Problem:  The O2 sensor shorts out intermittently. 

Test & Fix:  Using a scan tool, check the O2 sensor operation while driving. If it is less than 50 millivolts and stops responding, clear the memory by disconnecting both battery cables, rubbing them together, then reinstalling them on the battery. While on a road test, check the O2 sensor operation again. If it is still less than 50 millivolts, unplug the O2 sensor and see if the voltage increases to around 0.5v. If so, replace the O2 sensor. NOTE: Make sure there is no oil in the O2 sensor connector. If so, fix the oil leak and clean the connector with electrical contact cleaner or the sensor may fail again.

·
Registered
29,328 Posts
Vehicle Application: 1990 Dodge Ramcharger 5.2L, Vin Y 

Customer Concern: Has a code 51 for excessive lean. Looks like the O2 sensor says it is lean. 
Tests/Procedures: 1. Check the fuel pressure. Normal running pressure will be 15-18 Pounds Per Square Inch (PSI). If it is low, make sure that there is no vacuum to the pressure regulator and try blocking the return, the pressure should climb to near 50 PSI.

2. If it doesn't, replace the fuel pump and check the in tank fuel line. 
Potential Causes: Fuel Pump
Fuel Tank Lines

1 - 5 of 5 Posts