Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 318 now in my truck,and just got a 360 short block for free today...I have headers,edel 600cfm,edel air cleaner,edel 2176 intake,flowmaster exh,8mm wires and super coil.I want a comp cam n lifters .i dont know what to do ?build the 360short and add the other stuff from my 318{not the 318 heads} to it ,or put in the cc cam ,360 /or edel heads and stay with the 318?please give me detailed advice anyone!!!! http://photos.yahoo.com/johnny_longfins :-\

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
what are the heads like on that 318? while the 360 heads will work on the 318, i would advise either having them milled a bit since you will lose some compression putting the 60 heads on the 318, or just use the 318 heads.

cam specs are as follows:
318-340-360 V8 2177*

advertised duration: 270° /270° duration at 50: 204°/ 204°
lift at cam: .280 /.280 lift at valve.420 /.420 intake opens 4° ATDC intake closes 28° ABDC exhaust opens 36° BBDC exhaust closes12° BTDC lobe seperation110° intake centerline106°

would be a decent cam for either engine

also, while that 2176 manny will work ok on that 360 with the port sizes on it it was designed to run great on a 318 with the smaller ports, and to work ok on the 360.

of course you could always gasket match the ports and make them the same size as the 360 ports.

whichever way you go, i also advise having the cam degreed in whichever engine you put it in.

ok some rough numbers here, from a desktop dyno:

318 with stock heads and the other parts you mentioned: 261 HP / 342 pounds/foot

318 with 360 heads and parts you mentioned: 266 HP / 336 pounds/foot

360 with stock heads and other parts mentioned: 262 HP / 376 pounds/foot

and just for fun, 360 with 318 heads and other parts mentioned: 254 HP / 382 pounds/foot

hope that helped you out a bit

eric

G

·
As you can see, even at similar HP numbers, you have quite an advantage in the torque dept. It really comes down to how much you want to spend. A cleaned up set of 360 heads would top a nice package. I guess you could sell one and pour it into the other.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey ,eric is that 261 hp with the cam and parts i mentioned?im actually wanting a comp cam thats bigger and i think im gonna go with the 318 and edel heads! what do you think whats the desktop dyno on that?

G

·
Depends on the cam, but the 318 will easily top 400hp at the flywheel with great torque (more than any other street combo from 2500rpm up) using the Edelbrock heads, Performer Air Gap intake and CC Xtreme Energy 268 cam. If you're a roller cam block, you can get one with similar specs from CC.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
MIAMIRAM4X4 said:
Hey ,eric is that 261 hp with the cam and parts i mentioned?im actually wanting a comp cam thats bigger and i think im gonna go with the 318 and edel heads! what do you think whats the desktop dyno on that?
those numbers were using the stock 360 block and stock 318 block and all of the additional parts oyu mentioned. so when i put in the info i used a 318 with that eddy cam and lifters, eddy manifold and a 600 cfm carb with headers. i see now you changed the info in your original post

as far as the edelbrock heads, go look at the tech board and the product review board for the posts by Theramchargerman to see exactly what all is called for in using the edelbrock heads

as far as dyno numbers on the comp cams and the eddy heads i would need an airflow file and chamber cc's off of the eddy heads and i would need the specs off of the comp cam.

also, you have to realize that with a little work those eddy heads are going to flow alot better than stock heads and you might also consider a bigger carb.

also if oyu are going for strictly HP then might also consider a roller cam and lifters if oyur block can accomidate them

also, might consider a set of flat top pistons put in at a 0 deck height, a set of ported 302 or magnum heads and a really good cam. this combo in a recent mopar muscle mag netted exactly 400 hp

eric

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i would be really happy getting in the 350 +hp range if you can give me a formula to go with ,such as heads ,cam and lifters etc,combined with what i have that would be great. I will start in the morning...lol my god ive been in rcc researching back and forth for 5hrs now!!!! thanks for your great input and time so far...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.