Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is my first ever time posting. And my first time working on a carb. I lost the vent spring when I opened the bowl vent, it shot off into oblivion.
I am currently looking for a replacement. #6 in the diagram (Spring, Bowl Vent Valve) I can't find this part anywhere. I have looked in rebuild kits and many carb sites. Is there a site you would recommend or is there another type of spring I could use instead?

This is for a 1985 Dodge D150 Custom. 5.2L V8.
Numbers on the Carb
R 40172 1

Any help to find a replacement or something that will do the job would be most appreciated. Thank you!
-Donovan

Attachments

·
Registered
29,341 Posts
l,d use the spring out of a old style ball point pen , as l have done that

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I'll give that a try! I would have never thought of that

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In your collecting experience, are there other springs I can try if the pen spring doesn't work out?

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I did the same thing when I rebuilt my 2280. never did find it in my basement after 35 years. Used a ball point pen spring like was said.
A good hardware store may have some spring selection as well that will get in the ballpark.

Reactions: KurtfromLaQuinta

·
Registered
29,341 Posts
Thanks for you help - I wish I would have asked this forum a few months ago!

l won't even go there about what you get on FB for info

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
In your collecting experience, are there other springs I can try if the pen spring doesn't work out?
Well, I'm really good with my carburetors. I have no clue what to do with yours. :)
If it was sitting in front of me... it still would take me days to figure yours out. ☺

·
Premium Member
1978 W200
169 Posts
See, it's info like this that makes me prowl all the posts. This is the good stuff, right here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
haha! Totally, I have a little Mastercraft magnet tray for single part disassembly- I think I've learned my lesson and will disassemble it in the house on a table with silicon mats to keep everyone corralled.

·
Registered
29,341 Posts
l use a LARGE serving tray type of thing / before that l had an old carrom board with the corners blocked off , it lasted for years till the wood started to separate

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do you have a spring you can reference?

These guys will have any spring you will ever need:

·
Registered
725 Posts
I've made a spring or three before. There is wire with correct properties for spring steel. I faked it, using what I had on hand, wrapped around a screw to make a spiral, then made it all red before quenching in oil. It was a spring. It worked for a while.

Makes one imagine the days before disposable culture when there was a guy at the hardware store (or blacksmith shop, or gun shop) who had the tools and skill to keep stuff working. Because back then stuff had VALUE. And stuff cost a person a LOT. Maybe we progressed such that a good hunting rifle costs but a few days of take-home pay. But we can't fix our stuff when it breaks. I'm 51 and a sentimental romantic who wishes he was born 200 years ago.

·
Administrator
60,447 Posts
The labor costs have risen over most other prices. Take an alternator. Yes, there is still some places that will rebuild them, but you are looking at least 1 hour. Most shops charge at least $100 per hour. So $100, plus $30 to $50 in parts. Or go to the parts store, and get a rebuilt one for $100.

Hard to get anything concerning labor done for under $100.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts