Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out thier own an 83 Ram or Ram charger
318 2 bb carter. I cant find the propper diagram for the emissions and carb hook up I bought every book made for dodge trucks and they all leave out 82 and 83 emissions.
I even found a place that sell's the original service repair manuals and I spent $100 and it still dont show a diagram
layout. I'm starting to get pist. This all started becouse I wanted a knew carberator and they told me that the one I had on was for a 79. they look almost the same a couple of different thigs and also the knew carb has an electric feed back.
I am willing to pay for any help I can get.
please email me at [email protected]

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
Well Ok - this is a hard one and very frustrating, and I don't know if I can help - here's the deal.
The early 80's models had a bunch of different components and vacuum configurations, mostly based around what part of the world it was made for (sort of)... there's about 5 -6 different set-ups that I know of. It seems like when the smog reg.'s started really coming down, Chrysler had a hard time figuring what they wanted do, it didn't seem to settle down until the later 80's. This is why it's hard to find books with diagrams for these things, they usually just give you a general idea and refer you to the under hood sticker.
Have you tried talking to a dealership, sometimes you can get replacement stickers, but I've never tried for one of these old Dodges. Also there books out there that just cover smog stuff, they sometimes have better diagrams, again I don't have one, but have 'flipped through' a few.
I'll look through my books tonight and see if I can help at all.

More frustrating stuff ! - the under hood sticker for my 318 doesn't match what's on the engine ! (too many people have dinked with it over the years) yet it still passed smog ! And last, the guy I bought my truck from went through ordering and returning 3 carb's before getting the right one !
If you could be more exact in what it is you are trying to do it might help us...
Good luck

P.S. This is RCC - you don't pay for things here unless you buying a part or something ! ;)

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
Yes - some questions for you - is this a lean burn ? Most are, but not all. Is there lean burn box on the air cleaner ? Does it have a o2 sensor in the drivers side exhaust manifold ? you can have lean burn with or without o2 feedback, it makes a difference in the carb.

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
gmule said:
I even have an aircleaner with the computer you can have as well
LOL - I wish I lived in a state where I could happily give away parts, without having to worry about the next smog check ;D

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
Thanks for jumping in here Chump - I was hoping you would.... please tell what site you found this on.... See, the trouble is, if this guy has a California equiped truck, then this is the wrong diagram, the 82 - 83 CA engines are different and this is the real pita, trying to figure out your vin #, and what you should have.

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
Yeah - We need to hear back from this guy to see what he has.... CA smog rules are all over the place, if you have a fed engine your mostly Ok, if you have a CA engine, you can have a big pita, very stupid rules... it also depends on where you live in CA, very stupid rules.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On the Carburetor I had the wrong one also the one I had came off of a 79 they say. So I bought one from a place
called carburetors exchange out of San Monte CA. Teir on the web. The one I got now has an electric feed back
and it did plug right in I did have the connector from the harnest for it also on the back it had two big ports instead of one. so the pcv valve goes two the second one over and the the vacum hose from the power brakes goes to the first port(they are right next to each other. on the older carbs they shared the same port on the back of the carb
thier is only one big port that has the pcv valve and the disk brake vacumm running into a three way together into the single port on the carb those are pritty much the diference between the carbs for the 83 and 81 and under.
Also I even bought the service repair manual and it dont even shoe a diagram I also bought every hanes and chilton
book and what I gather is a combinations of similarities betwwen the 84 85 diagram and the early 80's diagrm
but on the diagram obove is the late 70's early 80's diagram where their is no electronic feed back and only one
big vacum port on the back where the pcv and vacumm brake share the port. Also on all these diagrams
when you see the air cleaner it only shows one thing on top where you run a vacum line two mine has two componts
on top one on the top left and another on the top right on all the diagrams they only show the air cleaner withe the compnet on the top left

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oldmanram said:
Thanks for jumping in here Chump - I was hoping you would.... please tell what site you found this on.... See, the trouble is, if this guy has a California equiped truck, then this is the wrong diagram, the 82 - 83 CA engines are different and this is the real pita, trying to figure out your vin #, and what you should have.
Ya mine is california 83 any clues on the diagram

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oldmanram said:
Well Ok - this is a hard one and very frustrating, and I don't know if I can help - here's the deal.
The early 80's models had a bunch of different components and vacuum configurations, mostly based around what part of the world it was made for (sort of)... there's about 5 -6 different set-ups that I know of. It seems like when the smog reg.'s started really coming down, Chrysler had a hard time figuring what they wanted do, it didn't seem to settle down until the later 80's. This is why it's hard to find books with diagrams for these things, they usually just give you a general idea and refer you to the under hood sticker.
Have you tried talking to a dealership, sometimes you can get replacement stickers, but I've never tried for one of these old Dodges. Also there books out there that just cover smog stuff, they sometimes have better diagrams, again I don't have one, but have 'flipped through' a few.

More frustrating stuff ! - the under hood sticker for my 318 doesn't match what's on the engine ! (too many people have dinked with it over the years) yet it still passed smog ! And last, the guy I bought my truck from went through ordering and returning 3 carb's before getting the right one !
If you could be more exact in what it is you are trying to do it might help us...
Good luck

P.S. This is RCC - you don't pay for things here unless you buying a part or something ! ;)
It sounds like we have hte same truck and same problem I also had the wrong carb and decided to get the right one the one I got now has an electric feed back does your have that as well. May be you can just tell me how you have your set up does your truck run good also what is your gas milage
when I had the wrong carb on it I got 13 all around miles I'm hoping to get 15 but its not adjusted right and the hoses aint right so im only getting like 9 its frustrating.
also on the air cleaner their is two sensors I no where the one on the passenger side goes it hooks up to the sensor under neeth the cleaner but their is another sensor wich is on the driver side it looks a little different as well it is a lot bigger
I dont know where that is supose to go I got it running to the vacum bowel valve on the carb becouse I dont knoe where that goes either any idea's

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oldmanram said:

Good luck

Is their anyway you can make a copy of your under the hood diagram of your 83 and
Also is their a way you can tell me how you got yours hooked up are you running the carter 2 barel with electric feed back.
Also heres my email [email protected]
I'm in Manteca Ca.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oldmanram
It sounds like we have thge same vehical
I went to the wrecking yard today and all I saw was a bunch of 84 dodge trucks and vans and they had the same hook up.
I looked at their diagram under the hood but i couldnt get them off. They had the same carbuerator I have on their now. I have a chilton with an 84 - 87 diagram ca. when I get home I will scan it on to my computer and post it on here can you let me know if it is how your is hooked up?

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
Ok - I'll try to answer some of your questions and we'll try to work through this.
Sounds like we have the same carb., with the o2 feedback (lol - mine is disconnected, alone with most of this stuff). I get about 12 - 13 mpg with this stuff disconnected (I'm sorry to say that, I don't think it will get much better than that).
If you can wait untill this weekend, I'll be happy to make a drawing of my sticker (I just won't have time untill then, very sorry - maybe friday), but I'll have to fax it to you because I don't have a scanner - do you have a fax at work or something ? (I'm also not sure how much it will help, because even mine doesn't show everything !!)
As far as the air cleaner goes, I only have two vacuum connections to it: 1 on the bottom, and 1on the snorkle (sp?) that tube thing where your cold air inlet is ! There is a third one there that goes to the lean burn box, is that the one you mean ? if that's not there it will cause some trouble...
Keep sending your questions - if nothing else maybe we can do this 1 vacuum line hook up at a time.... :)

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
ok about the best i can do is a 318 4bbl with cali emmisions before 84, or i can get you one for post 84 for 2 or 4bbl for cali emmision.

usually on these kinds of things, you can always go to a newer model year just can go to an older model year, so if oyu have all fo the stuff that was good for 84 and it worked you should still pass emmisions.

let me know if oyu are interested in these and i will see about emailing them to oyu

eric

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
oldmanram said:
Ok - I'll try to answer some of your questions and we'll try to work through this.
Sounds like we have the same carb., with the o2 feedback (lol - mine is disconnected, alone with most of this stuff). I get about 12 - 13 mpg with this stuff disconnected (I'm sorry to say that, I don't think it will get much better than that).
If you can wait untill this weekend, I'll be happy to make a drawing of my sticker (I just won't have time untill then, very sorry - maybe friday), but I'll have to fax it to you because I don't have a scanner - do you have a fax at work or something ? (I'm also not sure how much it will help, because even mine doesn't show everything !!)
As far as the air cleaner goes, I only have two vacuum connections to it: 1 on the bottom, and 1on the snorkle (sp?) that tube thing where your cold air inlet is ! There is a third one there that goes to the lean burn box, is that the one you mean ? if that's not there it will cause some trouble...
Keep sending your questions - if nothing else maybe we can do this 1 vacuum line hook up at a time.... :)
I'm so stupid I found the sticker on the side of the inside fender but like you said it is a diferent diagram it doea have some similarities though.I just hooked mine up to the 84 california way and I hope it works. I wonder if these aftermarket carburetor people are right why is the diagram under the hood different and has a different carb than what we have? I did have that carb at one time though I will also fax you some of the diagrams I came accross today. I will get back to you later I have to take my wife to doctors shes pregnant.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts