Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1979 Dodge Ramcharger 360/727/203
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone. I've been lurking on here for years now and I'm happy to report that there's a great shot I'll be picking up my first poptop in a couple weeks. It's a 1979 RC and appears to have some faded Macho graphics. It's an AZ truck and the body/frame looks to be in great shape. There's a non-running 360 in the engine bay with a 727/203 behind it. It looks to have the stock wheels/lift.

The truck's in SE Ohio and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get it to where I live on Maryland's Eastern Shore - about 475 miles. What are your thoughts on hiring an auto shipper vs. renting a UHaul trailer and towing it back (tow vehicle would be my 2020 Ram 1500 Classic Quad Cab 5.7 Hemi 4x4)? The few quotes I've received from auto shippers are in the $800-$1200 range vs. the AutoTransport trailer at around $200 plus a conservatively estimated $260 in fuel. I've towed a lightly loaded 10k equipment trailer with an F250 between MD and RI a few times, but I'm wondering if I might be getting over my skis with my project truck in tow over the long distance. What are your thoughts/advice/recommendations? Thanks for letting me be a part of the community!

-Coffey

· Registered
3,240 Posts
First thing to consider is the tow weight and tongue weight of your truck. Then figure out the weight of the RC and the weight of the trailer. Is the RC going on nose first or tailgate first? Engine weight matters on the tongue weight. If it all jives, have a good trip. If money isn't an issue, have it delivered. Less stress this time of year with snow and ice.

Reactions: neil4224

· Premium Member
5,779 Posts
I'm in SE Ohio so if there's any way I can help, let me know. Do you have trailer brakes on your truck? I hauled my ramcharger with 440 easily with my 14 ram classic but I trailered it rather than drag it, so I didn't have to worry about the condition of the rc. My truck was lifted on 35s also.
Car Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle

· Premium Member
5,779 Posts
I've hauled a few cars with mine successfully, just load it up with the weight distributed correctly and strap it down properly. Trailer brakes are a must.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
950 Posts
As long as the trailer isn't crazy heavy and you have a good weight distribution hitch you should be fine. The mountain ranges and grades are what are going to kill you, drive with patience and keep an eye on the things. As long as you keep the truck cool and have trailer brakes as mentioned above you should be good. Be sure to watch the weather forecast and the amount of cargo you have on board. You can easily go over weight on the tow rig and be in a bad situation quickly if the weather goes to crap.

I don't think you would have an issue, but I wouldn't do this every weekend as your 1/2 ton's not built for the grade pulling with dead weight leveraged off the back.

Neil

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the quick response and thanks mttaff for your offer. I'm leaning towards the trailer as well - I like the idea of doing the hand-off in person. I've heard mixed reviews about the uhaul trailer scrolling through the forums on here. Thinking I'll ask around and see if one of my buddies close by has a car hauler he would loan me. If I can get my hands on one with a winch I think it would be great too. The current owner says he has the equipment to help load but a winch would be safest I'm guessing.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Almost neighbors, I’m on the Delaware side of Delmar, for tax purposes! You may see me around in ol faded glory if I ever get her through inspection.
View attachment 635094
Definitely an Eastern Shore truck if its in front of a chicken house! Best of luck with the inspection - truck looks clean!

· Registered
3,240 Posts
I believe with the Macho package you would have 4X4 on the tailgate, not the RAMCHARGER. My Galen White Book does not show a fender tag code for the Ramcharger Macho. It does show YHA for the Trailduster Macho tho.

· Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
8,451 Posts
Its a Macho (lucky guy). The Macho package in '79 had that RAMCHARGER sticker. You're thinking of the '77/'78 Macho package that says 4x4 on it like mine did. Only the Macho package got the stickers all others got stainless trim or emblems.

Attachments

· Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
8,451 Posts

· Super Moderator
8,451 Posts
These were the Macho graphics through the years. The pictures are in order of the years.
*Note: 1980 was the first year we saw the name "Ram" appear on the trucks, it was that transition year thing.

1977/'78; 1979; 1980

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts