Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a set of Hedman hedders for my '85 RC (5.9L). I haven't put them on yet because I'm not sure how to account for the Air Injection Sytem tube assembly that plugs into the stock exhaust manifold. I'd also have to relocate to Oxygen sensor port from the driver's side to the passenger side. But that tube assembly is my main concern. Any suggestions?

G

·
Couple ways to go here. First is to eliminate the AIR system. If that's not possible, then you can always fabricate the plumbing to each header pipe. A junkyard SBC has all the plumbing you need to fab this up. Or, find headers that are already plumbed.

·
Premium Member
4,029 Posts
Since you just got the Hedmans you might not like this idea, but the only Headers that have the air injection tubes are the Thorley 114Y-S headers, available from summit for $359.

Otherwise you would have to do what PG suggested.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PrimerGrey said:
Couple ways to go here. First is to eliminate the AIR system. If that's not possible, then you can always fabricate the plumbing to each header pipe. A junkyard SBC has all the plumbing you need to fab this up. Or, find headers that are already plumbed.
Well, I have to keep it smog-legal, so I can't get rid of the AIR system, but would I have to plumb to each individual header tube, or could I just extend the tubing down to the collector (for a single injector on each side, rather than 4). I'm still new to this sort of stuff so if that is a stupid question, forgive me. Thanks for the replies.

Lee

·
Premium Member
4,029 Posts
To pass a visual inspection you would need it to go to every port on the head. On my Thorleys it is just a single tube welded to the header, along where the ports are. There are holes in the headers that go to each one.
Here is a pic of them:

·
Registered
366 Posts
I tore all that stuff off. I dont understand one thing. WHat is the point of haveing those smog holes in the headers when the are gonna be covered up by the gasket anyway? they cant even work. if there covered up?

·
Premium Member
4,029 Posts
JaMeS318 said:
I tore all that stuff off. I dont understand one thing. WHat is the point of haveing those smog holes in the headers when the are gonna be covered up by the gasket anyway? they cant even work. if there covered up?
Well, the gaskets I got with my headers have a hole in them for the air injection.

·
Registered
366 Posts
uh huh. i have never seen any like that.. gonna change over to aluminum gaskets when money permits.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dodge8564 said:
To pass a visual inspection you would need it to go to every port on the head. On my Thorleys it is just a single tube welded to the header, along where the ports are. There are holes in the headers that go to each one.
Well, I've weighed the options and I think I've come to a decision. I'm just going to scratch the headers-idea for awhile. I need to replace my rear springs also, so I'll probably just take the hedders down to the local "pull-it" yard and see if they'd be willing to swap some springs for the headers (the headers are used, but in decent shape). What you all think?

Lee

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.