Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '77 heater core (non-A/C type) started leaking a week ago. Anyone know of a serviceable heater or just the core - I could change to an A/C unit if that were all that is available. I did find a new heater cores on NAPA on-line for a princely sum (similar to a new engine radiator), besides which their photo showing the hose connections didn't look like mine.

Could also use a replacement auxiliary tranny cooler (in-front of radiator type), the threaded ends like to break-off.

'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
It seems that heater cores for our trucks are obsolete for the time being. You might want to see a radiator shop if any are still around in your area and have them make one for you but it will be pricey.

Registered
It seems that heater cores for our trucks are obsolete for the time being. You might want to see a radiator shop if any are still around in your area and have them make one for you but it will be pricey.
Now that you said that... mine will probably die soon.
I agree with you on the radiator shop.
I had my original one get a hole in it once. It was easily fixed by some guy who knew how to solder.

'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
Unless it's rotted, any heater core can be soldered. I've repaired plenty over the years and they've all been fine afterwards.

Administrator
Agreed. The brass/ copper heater cores, radiators, and tranny/oil coolers are easily fixed for small issues with a torch and solder (acid core, or separate flux, not rosin core).

The process is simple. soldering like welding is mainly in the prep, and selection of flux, or acid core solder. And remember, heat the object, not the solder.

Registered
LMC claims to have one but it's on back order.

Same deal with RockAuto

Registered
I have an AC and Non AC used cores . I would probably sell you the complete heater 鈥 box 鈥 assembly if your interested . Possible trade , PM me

Agreed. The brass/ copper heater cores, radiators, and tranny/oil coolers are easily fixed for small issues with a torch and solder (acid core, or separate flux, not rosin core).

The process is simple. soldering like welding is mainly in the prep, and selection of flux, or acid core solder. And remember, heat the object, not the solder.

Those guys do phenomenal cylinder head work also! Just look at all of their high tech equipment they use, it's very impressive. They even know how to fix camels! 馃槀

Administrator
I have watched a lot of their videos. Gotta say, they never scratch their heads and "say where do I start?". Not their first rodeo. I bet they get a lot of return costumers. Also must be great to have so many trucks and cars that use the same parts. Every specialized shop you see, they have plenty of the same thing in stock. You would never see here, a shop that just rebuilds clutch plates, crank shafts, axle housings, ect. Frames? look at the truck rebuilding videos. they are not afraid to make a frame rail.

Lol, true I guess.

Registered
Sadly at least around here, most of the rad shops are long gone. Mine in my 74 non AC is bad also. Someone told me at one time that there was another car/truck that was vary close, and just had to mod the holes little in the box. I cant seem to find my info at this time though.

Administrator
Go to Rock auto, find the core. Then click on the info button, and copy down the size, and look at the picture. Then go to summit, they have buttons so you can pick the sizes. They do not have a choice for 12", but you can click on the largest, and some of them are 12". a quick look, there is some that may be able to fit, with making a panel to make up for the slight difference in size.

I would pull yours first, and see what is leaking. it may just need a touch up with solder.

U.S. Radiator makes custom cores. I'm sure they could easily make you a heater core. If not, you can always buy bulk cores and have a fab shop make the tanks and then burn it all together to make a heater core.

Cores - US Radiator

Administrator
Might even be able to rig something up using a gaming PC heat exchanger. they look to be well made.

I'm pretty sure it can be fixed as long as it's not rotted where it leaks. I find they typically leak where the tube meets the tank. I bought a new one just a few years ago and it leaked new out of the box but I was able to easily fix it with some heat and more solder around the tube, The way I pressure test mine is I hook up a rubber hose on both tubes of the heater core but block one of the hoses off and then use a bicycle pump on the other hose and pump a few pounds into it and submerge it into a sink of water to check for bubbles anywhere. It works great to test your soldering job.

Reactions: RCCADMAN

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have an AC and Non AC used cores . I would probably sell you the complete heater 鈥 box 鈥 assembly if your interested . Possible trade , PM me
I'm new to dodge central- don't understand "PM me". I am in NorCalif, nothing to trade. What would be asking price for core alone, and/or core still in complete heater? Shipping from where?

Registered
PM.... private message.

Bucky

Administrator
Private message/ conversation, they go by many names across the internet. Its a private message between the two members.

Click on his avatar/ icon, then click on start conversation.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts