1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1980 w150
heat only no a/c

it feels like my heater cable for hot/cold air is in a bind or broken

as well as the other adjustment for heat/defrost, etc,...it seems stiff and either broken or in a bind too....

are these available new ? looked on LMC and did not see them.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Not available new. Its usually not the cable though. Its the pivots on the doors that rust, expand and tighten in the bores. Sometimes you can get some oil into the pivots without taking the whole box apart but usually not without flooding everything and truck smelling like petroleum distillates til summer

·
Registered
51 Posts
But if you did like I did and pushed the lever really hard, you'll bend the metal part of the cable.

·
Administrator
61,028 Posts
Some places used to carry a universal cable (inside wire), one end came pre curled, and you cut to length.

Try googling, I will try looking later tonight when I get back home if you do not find one. If you have access, and a mic or caliper, get a measurement off the inner wire.

·
Super Moderator
14,124 Posts
You should be able to look under the dash and find the blend door. You can try to work the flap lever by hand and avoid damaging the cable.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you do break or badly bend the wire, I believe you can use piano wire (read that somewhere). The wire is 0.053" diameter. It's a #23 piano wire which measures 0.051". 3 feet would do it. I think it's hardened, so you'd have to heat it to bend it and then re-harden it by quenching it in oil perhaps. I broke mine and had to find a replacement which wasn't easy.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanx for all of this help. I appreciate it !!!
dave in NC:)

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
My hot/cold did not work in my 77. The Original owner bent the wire at the hot/cold switch. Instead of fixing it right they added a push/pull choke cable in the dash and connected it to the valve under the hood. To fix it, I took the old bent cable out and also removed the new push/pull cable. The original cable was no good so I cut the push/pull handle off the new cable and mounted that cable to the hot/cold switch and lubed all the moving parts. Works like a charm now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts