Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a thermoquad off of a Ford 460 that I'm trying to get to work on my 440. I've taken the old round style choke off (or what's left of it) in favor of using the mopar heat riser style choke. I'm noticing that the screw boss area on the throttle body (that the old choke mounted to previously) overhangs the heat riser choke on the manifold and nearly touches the mounting bolt. for those of you out there who have a mopar big block with a TQ, does your TQ look like this? Do you you have a taller spacer between the manifold and the carb to allow more room to the choke?
Thanks in advance for your help. {cool}

·
7,995 Posts
I can't tell by the picture but do you have the proper TQ mounting gasket installed? The ones that I have used I think are about 3/16" thick and have plastic inserts at the bolt holes. Second if you need more clearence to move the carb back, try removing the stock bolt that mounts the choke and install a allen head screw like this...does this help any?

OR

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Chump,

I just threw on a base gasket from a Rochester quadrajet in order to try fitting it up. It may or may not be the right thickness. It does however have the palstic reinforcing ring around the holes like you mentioned. So does your thermoquad have that choke mounting surface protruding out or is this unique to the style that had the round choke (shown) mounted directly on the the carburetor? I suppose I could use the button head screw if it comes down to it. thanks.

·
7,995 Posts
McGuyver said:
Hello Chump,

I just threw on a base gasket from a Rochester quadrajet in order to try fitting it up. It may or may not be the right thickness. It does however have the palstic reinforcing ring around the holes like you mentioned. So does your thermoquad have that choke mounting surface protruding out or is this unique to the style that had the round choke (shown) mounted directly on the the carburetor? I suppose I could use the button head screw if it comes down to it. thanks.
No, the stock TQ for Chrysler does not have the round choke setup. It has the divorced choke, in the manifold, like you show in your picture and the carb doe NOT have choke mounting surface protruding out. I would say that the round choke is unique to Ford although I have never seen a TQ from a Ford til your picture.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wonder if I could take the carb apart and take the throttle body into the machine shop here at work and mill the uneeded extra material off. I'd probably want to look at a mopar TQ first so I could figure out what material needs to stay and what needs to be removed. That's an idea I've been mulling over...

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Your gasket is way too thin, like chump said, you need one thats about 3/8" think.

You could probably just use a hacksaw, cut off wheel, or a sanding pad on your grinder to get rid of that Ferd choke mount. (Don't use a grinder on aluminum though.)

Here's the same area on a Mopar TQ base.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.