The pic is the hy-rail converted vehicle I drove working in the tunnels at Ground Zero
As far as the restification goes...... it will be done in a few stages.
First and foremost you need to figure out ultimately what the vehicle's primary purpose will be. So before I get rotten vegetables throw at me. I won't be crawling or any real mudding <ducks quickly>. I live in NJ<ducks again>.
So what I need is a vehicle that can ford streams, handle snow, and handle wet/dry sand at the beaches at Island State park. I wll be driving long distances across the country to do genealogy work and hook up with whatever railroad "Speeder" groups accept "HY-Rail" converted vehicles.
For snow, sand, river and some muddling will require
The last video (at the end of the video) is of a mid 70's "Squad 51" styled RC in the mud or snow. All the videos are worth downloading. Also go to the history and see who's idea it was.
I don't think anybody can argue against how cool they are.
Hyrail /Speeder stuff
Speeders are reallycool....but I want to drive the dodge w/ the top off down the rails, just on general principal
Go to the bottom of the page where it says pick-ups there three pics of what I am looking to do.
1) replace engine 318/360 (junkyard) with anything that runs. w/new water pump, seals, oil pan gasket, master cylinder, brakes and brake lines. I already have a manifold carb combo from my '73 powerwagon. Those easy things to do when the engine is out. I need to get in mobile. A lot of newer parts from the '73 PW will just go right in. Radiator, heater core, etc.
2) Make sure suspension is decent enough to drive around in.
3) Assess what body parts need to be replaced or fixed. I.E. floorboards need to be replaced on drivers side. Passenger door has small hole. Some tin worm damage on passenger side.
4) engine wise..... well in 1996 I had called Cummins about buying an engine. They said it would fit and I would get the full 10year/100,000 warranty. There is something to be said for a 30 year old truck with a new 10yr/100k warranty and antique plates on it. I was waffeling for a time and really considered the new hemi engine, but when I saw the cummins conversion here I decided to go back with my original plan.
5) Tranny probably keep an automatic, but I need to see which ones can handle Cummins. In addition a US Gear under/overdrive
If you haven't seen them.... Basically it gives you an extra gear. So your 3 speed turns into a 6 speed "effectively" as each gear can be overdriven. A 5-speed Viper is now a 10 speed. If you check out the custom link. There is a pic of a piggy back'd unit. So if there was enough room, you could have a 20 speed viper. I am more of a "Salt Flats" kinda guy then a drag car. Why go a 1/4 mile when you drive two 11-mile passes.
Check out the video there. Its really cool.
6) Spring..... Bestop softtop.....enough said........
7) I am still working out the details for the electrical system. I am an electrician so it has to be cool.
Paint job... I want to keep the black. All that is Tan I want to paint "Polar White" from Mercedes. It is IMHO the best white. It actually looks its best on slightly cloudy day after it rains, you will see a hint of blue.
9) The windows on the pop top need to be taken out and either polished or replaced as the rubber needs to be replaces around them. So that would be a good time to deal w/those windows.
10) The front bumper is a WARN. Unfortunately the grill guard was taken off and tossed 15 years ago and warn doesn't make a replacement. I would like to get the original blueprints and have a replacement made, if not maybe somebody here might have a clever solution to having a cool grilll guard. This isn't a priority.
11) The rear bumper average shape for its age. I am more then seriously think putting my other warn bumper (exact same style from my '73 pw) on the rear end with some custom brackets.
12) Dashboard. Many years ago when I had to toss my dodge police car out I saved the dash w/150mph speedo. I might not use it in favor of a custom Dakota Digital dash. Not a priority.
13) Shifter... Well its an automatic on the tree. I saved the floorshifter from my 65 monaco including the whole thing that runs down the hump. This I want.. A priority. Its a nice shifter.
14) I have a mechanical oil pressure guage and amp meter from a 1957 Desoto (325cid polyhead) I had to get rid of. I want to get these restored (properly) and installed. Remember that is a pressurized hot oil line under your dashboard. My crotch would seriously appreciate it if it never ever ever failed.
15) I want to get a grill that has the directionals in it as opposed to what I have now. Not for the directionals mind you but either of those two places would make a great place for auxilary lighting. You can see the warn bumper attavhment for the license plate has been moved since it blocks part of the driver side directional. The ideal situation is a late 70's quad grill modded w/ directionals in it from a mid 70's. But the aluminum is so thin I don't think it could be done. But I might try anyway. It would certainly look different especially if I keep it the same color as the hood. But it allow for more exotic lighting.
16) My headlights (not in this pic) are 18 year old Cibie's (pronounced "C-B-A") they were the first h4 halogen replacements available for 7' round headlights. They have been through 3 accidents. One needs to rehabbed but they work fine. They are my "lucky" headlights. For them I would choose the 55/100 watt bulbs or possibly a decent HID H4 conversion. But I lose having Hi-beams w/HID. Probably too much thought on headlights but they are important.
17) Interior I would like to spray the interior floor/bed with rhino lining or something similar. Just so I never have to worry about it again.
Waterproof Sony speakers. *Not negotiable*. I have driven enough in that thing w/o a top and caught in enough rain to understand this choice
19) One of these mods, particularily the mattracks. Have to run on my other truck. My daily driver is a '89 Ford Bronco (It was given to me, 300cid straight 6, 200k miles). So the Matt Tracks need to be able not run at that thing too. Probably just need to check the spacing on the lugnuts.
20) Water cooled, dual processor PC must have "Bluetooth" in my current vehicle I will be doing this not negotiable, what do you want I am a geek. I thought linux mp3 players were cool. But with Bluetooth and all the other geek gear I own. (I love my Prometeia). I really need a full PC.
Have I missed anything? feel free to ask question. Maybe you have a neat idea I missed or forgotten. This would be a good time to do so. Some of these things will happen depending on ca$h flow first.
ok gotta run.......... be back later with some other pics.