Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1977 W-200 318-727-203
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, didn't Kurtfromlaquinta write something about this? couldn't find it. anyone knows about?
'77 318

I got the heads and air intake off for new headgaskets, I'd like to make sure this engine has the tdc and with that the little gear for the ignition timing right.
Is that gear excentric?

thanks for the help

·
Registered
1977 W-200 318-727-203
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys, as usual your the best!

quickly another one; with unbolting pass.side cil.head, the cil.head bolts, they are not supposed to make a suction noise? they are all wet with oil, and by unbolting them they made a hissing sound.
something like the piston was moving up or down, though I didn't move the cilinders??????

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
area51 said:
Thank you guys, as usual your the best!

quickly another one; with unbolting pass.side cil.head, the cil.head bolts, they are not supposed to make a suction noise? they are all wet with oil, and by unbolting them they made a hissing sound.
something like the piston was moving up or down, though I didn't move the cilinders??????
The head bolt holes are blind threaded holes, it sounds like some oil has some how gotten in there, maybe from previously being removed. It's common to use regular oil for more accurate torque readings. The sound is just the air trying to get past the treads through the oil when you back them out.

·
Registered
1977 W-200 318-727-203
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I thought, but if the p.o. used that much oil, The readings could be very well off  due to hydraulic lock of the bolts?

I mean, using less oil (just a few drops) would have been better here, isn't it?

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
you are correct

·
Registered
1977 W-200 318-727-203
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, It has been a long time since I did my last head gaskets, I guess I got a bit rusty as well ;D

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
normally I run a tap ( bottoming ) thru all threaded holes as a part of my "prep" work , and a few drops of oil on the bolt .

·
Registered
1977 W-200 318-727-203
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That was my Idea as wel, do you happen to know the size of the tap?
those sizes are difficult to come by at this side of the pond.

over here everything is Metric.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
dodge82273 said:
normally I run a tap ( bottoming ) thru all threaded holes as a part of my "prep" work , and a few drops of oil on the bolt .
professional engine builders DO NOT use TAPS on head bolt threads [or any threaded hole on an engine] unless the threads are damaged , other wise they use thread chasers that CLEAN and NOT cut threads

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/thread-chaser-sets

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
or I grind a coupla notches in a bolt ,longways , with a 90' edge in the insert direction  ,a place for the gunk to go ....I haven't been a professional engine builder since 1972 , when I left that occupation after the machinist "union"organizer  doing a shop takeover attempt , told me a 55 year old fella made 250 a week at union scale(pay) , well that was 1972 after all .. the 1/4thX20 valve cover holes often have "stuff" in them and they too are blind holes ... :)

·
Registered
1977 W-200 318-727-203
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
? Never heard from them before? but I see the point, certainly there you don't need damaged threads!

@dodge82273 yep, those valve cover holes could very well be the reason of many valve cover leaking oil...
Thanks for these tips,fellows.

·
Registered
1977 W-200 318-727-203
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found another headbolt, and also grinded a few notches in it, and it worked a wonder!
But now, I'm using one of these Fel-Pro HS 8553 PT-14 gasket sets with a blue and mettalic head gasket.
The leaflet in the set sais to follow oem installation guides, which in it's turn sais: 50ft/pound in sequence, and then at 95 ft/pound also in sequence.
And that would be it???

Is that not a bit light? (If I compare that to modern engines?) and not even another go with the torque wrench after the engine has warmed up for the first time?

Please help? I'm a bit confused with that.

I started with the intake manifold, It seems to me that they speak somewhere about bolts goiing through into water jackets, and then put some sealer on that bolt, can I find somewhere where it sais which bolt to go where?

·
Registered
1977 W-200 318-727-203
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So that means for the inlet manifold, there are 8 bolts that I need to put some sealant on the bolts?

My FSM told me 50 ft/pound 1st stage, and 95ft/pound second stage, for a '77 W-200 318.
which could i use best?

·
Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
7,140 Posts
95ft/lbs is not a lot for cylinder heads. The bolts are designed to handle clamping loads that high. It's critical to be that tight as the heads seal up the cylinders. You don't want any compression leaks. You don't need to re-torque the head bolts once you do your final torquing sequence with steel heads. Only aluminum heads need to be re-torqued after a full heat cycle. Just do what the instructions tell you to do. Only the end bolts on the manifold need sealant but it obviously won't hurt just to do them all if you are unsure.

·
Registered
1977 W-200 318-727-203
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks! I did all the headbolts in the Two stages (50 and 95ft/pound), with a drop of oil on the thread and one under the bolt head.

all the bolts from the exhaust I smeared a bit of copper grease at the end of the threads after I cleaned them with a steel bristle. so I get to undo the end bolts, get a dab of sealant on them and reinstall.
Thanks for the advice ;D

·
Registered
1977 W-200 318-727-203
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Today the concerning bolts undone, cleaned and with a dab of sealant reiinstalled.
After that finished the engine, installed battery and filled the carb with some fresh gas, since the engine didn't run for a year and a half. I couldn't get the engine to turn, must have something to do with not getting/too old gas, or no spark because too retarded/advanced? don't know yet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.