Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my old nasty headliner was drooping down all over the place in my '90 RC and I finally got fed up and tore that thing down.  Now I have that disgusting foam all over the place and I would like to replace the headliner in some way.  I am trying to save money wherever I can.  Any Ideas?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Buy a new one. Several places on-line sell headliner kits (new cloth, glue, instructions), they go for 40-60 dollars, depending on where you buy them.Take the cardboard liner down(carefully) and clean the foam remnents off, then glue the new fabric in place. It takes spray can headliner adhesive to hold it on, spend a little extra for the good stuff so you only have to do it once.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i have been looking it up online and "stockinteriors.com" has the kit for like 60 bucks...the glue is like 13 bucks...that better be the good stuff!  Thanks man

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is another question.  Is there anything else out there that you can put on the cieling other than the headliner....something kinda custom and different?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmmm? interesting patterns but cool ideas...I kinda like my old wood paneling, but I like the headliner.  My dash is the same color as hers....I want it black...difficult?

·
Registered
454 Posts
I dont understand what your asking. Use whatever you want, carpet, fabric, wood, metal, cardboard, plastic. Apply glue and stick it on. Pretty simple. You want a black dash? paint it or replace it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK well I guess what I am asking is whether or not to try to remove all of the painted dash pieces or remove certain ones and leave certain ones and tape and mask.  Then I was also wondering if anyone had used a specific brand of plastic paint and which one worked best for them...I realize that I left it fairly open-ended and for that I apoligize. 

·
Registered
454 Posts
Removing the dash is almost impossible with the windshield in. Remove what you can and mask off the rest. Use a paint designed for plastic. Make sure you clean it properly or the paint wont stick.

·
Registered
331 Posts
OldGreyRamcharger said:
Removing the dash is almost impossible with the windshield in.

Hmm,thats a new one on me.I've never heard o having to remove the windsheild to take a dash out.I've had several out over the years and have had no problems with windsheild interference.But hey, thats just me maybe i,m missing something.

OldGreyRamcharger said:
Use a paint designed for plastic. Make sure you clean it properly or the paint wont stick.

X-2, prep work is very important for good results not to mention do not skimp on quality,cheap products=cheap results.

·
Registered
454 Posts
The screws for the dash are under the windshield rubber moulding. Very difficult to get at without cutting the rubber or prying it up and cracking the windshield. Can you tell me how you did it? Please do because i had to destroy the moulding at the wrecker to get one out and i cracked my windshield on mine trying to pry the rubber up enough to get as socket on the screw.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I took a "small" indexable pry bar and adjusted to a good angle and just folded the seal up enough to access them,i also put a folded hand towel under the contact point on the dash pad to keep from damaging it.Maybe i have just been very lucky to not have broke anything ;D.On re-assymbly i have soaked the bottom of the seal with silicone spray to aid in getting the lip  of the seal back over top of the dash pad while using a plastic trim stick to aid in it. Ihope this helps forthe future.

·
Registered
331 Posts
OldGreyRamcharger said:
I did say almost impossible ;D
LMAO, yeah it's not a walk in the park by all means but take your time and it can be done. there's always more than one way to skin a squirrel though ;D

·
Registered
48 Posts
for the headliner i went to walmart in the faberic section and bought 4 yards of vinyle faberic and 2 cans of 3M faberic glue in a spray can. it was easy to install and is easy to clean and cheap (around $30). as for the dash panels i would use a lot of good tape and clear plastic and leave the dash in the truck. as for the paint you use. most plastic based paint will work as long as you clean everything real good befor you paint.

·
Registered
149 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
For painting the body panels, you have to scrub them clean and allow to dry thoroughly (I waited a couple of days in between).  Adhesion promoter and then SEM "Landau Black" paint.  It worked great and not flaking after 2 years.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts