Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to replace my headlight switch in the 75 Power Wagon. I disconnected the wiring, pushed the button on the bottom side of the switch and pulled on the knob. It came to the on position but would not come out so that I could remove the nut holding the switch to the dash. Any ideas? Or am I doing something wrong. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Toyradio said:
I'm trying to replace my headlight switch in the 75 Power Wagon. I disconnected the wiring, pushed the button on the bottom side of the switch and pulled on the knob. It came to the on position but would not come out so that I could remove the nut holding the switch to the dash. Any ideas? Or am I doing something wrong. Thanks for your help.
they can be tuff sometimes. push the button in really hard and try to push it strait sometimes they get a little angle to them. try twisting and pulling slowly. when you put it back spray a little lithium grease on the stem and it will be easier next time. 8)

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've tried it a couple times now and it still won't come out. Tomorrow I'll try again.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ok, I don't have much experience with 70's, but I can tell you how it's done on my 80's. You have to lay under the dash & look up at the switch. There is a button on it (very small) that you push & hold in while you pull out the nob. I hope that helps. My buddy has a 76, & I know he's done them before. I'll get a hold of him & ask him if you still have trouble. Good luck! ;)

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
there a royal PITA and basicly just keep pushing the button and pulling in and out / some times you gotta let off the button just alittle bit and it pops right out

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im ready to get out the small blue wrench.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I changed out the switch, but it didn't fix my problem. It still drives me nuts. No tail lights or running lights. Headlights work, as do turn signals and break lights. Any suggestions? I can't drive this after dark and as we all know it's starting to get dark earlier and earlier.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Blown fuse/fuselink usually is the culprit.when the headlamp switch fails,usually the parklites still work

·
7,995 Posts
I have some suggestions... ;D

Go to your bulkhead connector and check for voltage at terminal #13...L10 and L11 are your front park and rear tail light circuits. L10(single wire comes from yur headlight switch to the bulkhead connector. At the engine side plug you should have 2 wires crimped together(L10 and L11)...L10 goes to the rear lights and L10 to the front lights. Pull the headlight switch to "park" and test for voltage here.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fantastic. I'll check it out in the morning.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chump said:
I have some suggestions... ;D

Go to your bulkhead connector and check for voltage at terminal #13...L10 and L11 are your front park and rear tail light circuits. L10(single wire comes from yur headlight switch to the bulkhead connector. At the engine side plug you should have 2 wires crimped together(L10 and L11)...L10 goes to the rear lights and L10 to the front lights. Pull the headlight switch to "park" and test for voltage here.

Can't see the diagram you sent me. Sure would help. And thank you for your help.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks. I do appreciate your time and help.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Man Chump, thanks alot. With the wiring diagram and the help of Tugboat we found the problem. It seems this had happened before and had been rigged to work. Now with that info we did some wire tracing and found the wire from the fuse block to the switch was dead. Power to the fuse on both ends nothing to the switch. Simple....replace the wire from the switch to the fuse block. Thanks again Chump for your help, and thanks Tugboat for your help...Man....I feel better now...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts