Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do headers increase fuel mileage too? if so, by how much? another thing, a shop told me that they might have to "tilt" my engine to put them on! they also said I was looking at about 9hrs of labor to get em in. Does this sound right?

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
9 hours?! I would find another shop. Assuming a $50 shop rate, that's $450 in "labor" just to install headers....

Is there any reason you can't put them on yourself? All it requires is basic hand tools (wrenchs, ratchet/sockets). Once they are on, drive it (LOUDLY ;D ) to a muffler shop to have the exhaust pipes connected to the header collectors.

-SM

·
Registered
810 Posts
I think that by "tilt", they meant that they would have to temporarily disconnect one engine mount and tilt the engine to one side to slide the header into place.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Sounds like some shop is adding the lunch at the local Ti++y bar into your bill. Loosening a motor mount I can see but 9 hours is unacceptable, next they will want to charge you rent for the vehicle staying in their shop over night.

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
yeah, that's bull.... there's no way it shoudl take that long. you can easily do it yourself, if you have any mechanical prowess, and at 18 you should.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Even if u don't have much in gear head dept check the Cali chapterthere is many folks who will hep ya install them probably .

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
All other things being equal and in good running order, and if you have good stock cast iron manifolds, whatever small gains you might make by installing headers won't be worth it, in my opinion as far as gas mileage goes, or even performance.

Mac

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok guys, so the price is outrageous, I agree. What about gains in hp and gas? are there any?

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
For truck mileage and power purposes, you'd be almost as well off with stock manifolds and head pipes melded into a three inch diameter single system from the "Y" on back. You may gain a mile or two per gallon with headers, may not... mainly because of the size of vehicle you're pushing through the wind... and the weigth, tire width, rolling resistance etc..

However, shiny headers are pretty and sound nice...

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
78RC, we really would be helped if you would answer a question i've asked in every single post on this topic so far:

What gas mileage ar you getting now?

this will give us something to go on. for example: if you are geting 4 mpg, then your truck needs serious help. if you are getting around 12-15, there isn't a whole lot you can do if you still want it to be able to wheel.

Jake

Jake

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'm getting exactly 10 mpg. But I'm a college student, thats why I'm always bothering you guys trying to find ways to save gas. ;D. I'd love to get 15! I think I'm going to have a diagnostics done and find any compression/vacuum leaks or rich air fuel.--also my friend does "lightening" on his euro cars and said that we might be able to reduce the weight in my rc by almost 300lbs w/ the top, my toolds, the back seat, all my junk, and all terrain tires instead of mud terrain tires. I'm also looking at replacing some of the body with a lighter material.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Headders do make a noticable difference, but I didn't notice much till I installed a K+N filter. I think it was the combo of both that made the improvement.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Dont forget that the more power you have from a set of headers the more you'll want to use it. but if you get a set get long tube headers, the step headers from TTI are really nice but kinda expensive compaired to some cheap shorties but the preformance is noticeable. just my $0.02

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Actually Joe got to it 1st with the wheels, i would recommend the hedman step headers.
Lose as much weight as possible, i went to an aftermarket fiberglass hood, headers, carb, intake, single exhaust, aside from alum wheels, pay attention to tire weights too some tires are insanely heavier than others.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Weight is probably the biggest factor, think about it every loss of 100lbs. is a 1/10 of a sec. in the 1/4 mile.

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
yeah, 10 is about average, especially with a full-time 4WD truck that has the aero of a brick. you would also benefit by converting your fulltime case to a part time setup and locking hubs.

i'm still in school too, and i certainly understand the money thing.

Jake

1 - 18 of 18 Posts