Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 1976 rc with stock 318 2-bbl, and now planning about headers.
I tried rcc:s search and found out that the only thing is to remove starter when installing the headers. i suppose a heat shield would not either do harm to prevent starter overheat...

is there anything else i should be aware of when i plan this mild hotrodding? what make headers are the best? hedman? dynomax? are the cheap ones offered usually in ebay worth a damn?
and of course, all hints concerning the installation are mostly welcome.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have headman
They seem to work fine.
If the starter goes out you have to remove the header to replace it. I think I installed mine buy just removing the driverside motor mount.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
try one of the newer small starters the 89 has one all is well qp

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
I have never had a starter problem on a Mopar with headers, and i have had some with so little room you couldn't see the starter, usually this is a gm problem, i have never seen it on anything i have ever had or any of my friends cars either, but for lack of work i would get the small starter

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
To ad the small starter is called a Nippendenso starter and can be found all 94 an newer trucks . seems like the Dakota has a starter that works well with older RC's . Also u might need to shim the starter once u get it . If u need any help on locating a new Nippo holler and we will find ya one .

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
My '89 has the small starter... It's stock, so I don't think the starter was changed.. That's still an LA engine, so you should be able to slap one of those right on a '76.

Matt {peace}

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have a set of Dynomax headers that fit great!! I had to take them off to get the stacks to work, but they just need a little sandblasting and paint to be in perfect shape. I'll sell them for $75 if anyone wants them. I did not have to ding them to install them, and they fit fine with a big starter.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so You all are saying atleast hedman and dynomax are good, i was just wondering about those ones selling in ebay, the "brandless" headers, are they worth bidding over 100$?

...while the post cost over here border-siberia is appr. 75$...
i could get a brandless headers from local speedshop over here by price 200$, i was hoping to get those cheaper.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had two trucks with Hedman headers and never had problems with the starters before. As for the brands on ebay I know nothing about them so I can't say Sorry. but the $75 sounds like a deal except for the shipping

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
jurkka said:
so You all are saying atleast hedman and dynomax are good, i was just wondering about those ones selling in ebay, the "brandless" headers, are they worth bidding over 100$?

...while the post cost over here border-siberia is appr. 75$...
i could get a brandless headers from local speedshop over here by price 200$, i was hoping to get those cheaper.
since you would probably end up spending the extra in shipping if you got those headers off of ebay, summit sells a set for rc's for around $80, also offers other "name" brand headers for around $120

eric

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
remember you get what you pay for.... also if you truck is a auto dont for get to maive the tranny dipstick.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.