Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there headers and/or gaskets that will last longer than 6 mos. to a year before they burn out?

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
Headers will last damn near forever if they are made well and you take care of them.  Header gasket life will vary with the quality of the headers, the type of gasket and how they are used.  On most of my non-performance critical stuff, I just had the exhaust pipes ball flanged into the header collectors.  On performance stuff I had decent luck with the dead soft aluminum collector gaskets.  For the header flange to head gaskets, I usually ran FelPro High Performance header gaskets coated with high quality red high temp silicone.  For warped flanges, doubling up the gaskets seemed to make them last a little longer.  Above all you have to keep the flanges tight.  They will loosen up, especially after just being put on.  Heat them up and tighten them down and keep them tight.  If they are cheap headers with thin flanges, this will warp the hell out of them but that is the price you pay for cheap headers.  I did find a set of soft copper header flange gaskets  that I ran on my Magnum engine and they lasted the whole time I ran the car, even though a starter change and being reused on that side.  They were made by SCS or something like that and cost a fortune, though I don't remember exactly how much right now.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
NAPA has a Hi Perf  header gasket made of graphite that wont burn...  Ive had them on my 81 shorty for 7 years and still no leaks..

·
Registered
223 Posts
I hate headers , but some times you have to run them.I fought with mine for a long time until i used felpro high performance with silicon impregnated . I have replaced them once in two years. I called headman when i was having trouble with them and said on a high compression engine the gaskets are goning to need to be replaced more often.

G

·
Elwenil said:
Headers will last damn near forever if they are made well and you take care of them.
Well hes right on the money with that lol

my PW has had the same headers for all of its life...

the only thing i hate is that they look A$$ ugly, all rusty and crap lol

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought some copper header gaskets and will try them....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts