Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the best type of header gaskets????????

·
Registered
104 Posts
i use the mr casket ultra seal there pretty inexpensive and they work well.i use a stud kit instead of the bolts to me it is easer to get them tight than with the bolts and you dont have to worry so much about the bolt heads hitting the header as you tighten em up my 2 cents

·
Registered
104 Posts
i got mine from automotive engineering its a speed shop here in jax fl.i think you can get from summit to but if you need a hook up i can get them and mail em to you if you cant find em

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
I didn't see them in summit...they only listed chevy if I remember right

I was gonna use them to get rid of the coolant leak from the outer bolts, but my new heads are blind there, so they won't leak

·
Premium Member
4,226 Posts
What do you save in room by using the stud kit? The head of the bolt vs the nut are the same or can you use a smaller hex nut? I used case hardened allen head screws, but still have problems hitting the tubes.

·
Registered
561 Posts
The dead soft aluminum, by Percy's through Summit. Worth their weight in gold.. Expensive, but worth it. I've got'em at the head and the collectors....No leaks her for 2 years with Hooker headers.. My .02 /

Dave ;D

·
Registered
104 Posts
to me there just easier. i have tried allen head, regular header bolts and the studs with smaller nuts they are just easier and you dont seem to hit the tubes as much. i did not say you save room all i said was you dont have to worry so much about hiiting the tube. to me the allen heads are the hardest ones to deal with

·
Registered
561 Posts
With Hookers.. You use the bolt that you can install. The guys at the factory didn't care if we could get a particular bolt in against the inside of a tube or not. I found, (and I've installed quite a few), that you use the bolt that works in a particular location, regardless what type. We've all got our cut down custom wrenches and allen keys.... My headers, you have to start all the bolts in a certain order to get them all to start without threading through the flange. I have to blame the studs on the ends. Once you get cocked on them you're screwed. They're convienient, but can be a real pain too. I haven't heard of any name brand mfgr. that makes a header that bolts on without some level of difficulty. I guess the Chevy and Ford guys have their own header problems too.

Dave

·
Registered
321 Posts
Mr gasket works for me, Everytime.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
im w/ the devil ...got the same type gaskets..1 year now never losened and no leaks .... replaced 2 sets before these qp

·
Registered
68 Posts
A long time ago I found that on my 68 440 I tried putting the stock gaskets against the head, and the header gaskets against the header,(yes, two gaskets per side) it had studs also, and never had a leak after that. it worked for me, might work for others.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts