Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be allright if I took my cylinder heads off and replaced the head gaskets, then put them back on without messing with them? I think I'm just gonna try and get my beast mobile for a little while, and take it easy on it, until I get the money to get my long block. Then I'm either going to rebuild the engine myself, or, send it off to Marty and his bunch in NY to get it rebuilt, and keep the other engine as a spare. Hell, saying that, I just might go find me a Duster to drop it in.....But could I get away with it, or do I have to replace anything on the heads? I know I have to get exhaust gaskets too. But let me know, and thanks.
Matt

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Why are you doing this? is there a problem with the head gaskets? if so yes you can do that

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm doing this because my engine is making a BAD hissing noise, like a punctured tire does when theres a big hole in it, and it gradually fades away after a couple of seconds. It always does this when it's being cranked on, and the motor runs intermittently (sp?), then dies. I figure I put the intake manifold gaskets on wrong, but then again the head gaskets might be toast too. Can you blow them from too many backfires? Can they deteriorate after sitting for so long? What causes them to fail? Or am I just stirring up a hornets nest?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
The hissing could just be the compression leaking past the rings that you hear, i am guessing the motor didn't start and then you heard the hissing

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Could be a gasket leaking to but it would be much louder when it's running, do a leak test 1st before spending time and money in the wrong area, could be a loose plug too, could be a few different things

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The motor kinda starts, idles for a few seconds, then dies. If I kinda hold the throttle open when I crank on it, and it starts, then it will run, but I have to keep increasing the throttle to keep it running, and it eventually dies, with a small backfire. The hissing happens when I crank on it for a few seconds (about five sec. at a time), and when I happen to get it to start. So what's going on? Could it be timing? Or what? I know the rings are probably bad, and so are the heads, but the engine has to last until I get money for a new motor. Oh yeah, ED3, did you get my e-mail? About rebuilding this particular engine?

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
sounds like a big vacuum leak like when the hose to the brake booster is left unplugged or the hose to the PCV valve is unhooked. I"ve had back fireing in the past blow the PCV hose off.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Lonewolfdodge said:
The motor kinda starts, idles for a few seconds, then dies. If I kinda hold the throttle open when I crank on it, and it starts, then it will run, but I have to keep increasing the throttle to keep it running, and it eventually dies, with a small backfire. The hissing happens when I crank on it for a few seconds (about five sec. at a time), and when I happen to get it to start. So what's going on? Could it be timing? Or what? I know the rings are probably bad, and so are the heads, but the engine has to last until I get money for a new motor. Oh yeah, ED3, did you get my e-mail? About rebuilding this particular engine?
No i got no mail, did you hit the e-mail link in my post.

The hissing noise can be normal, as every motor turns and makes compression if it doesn't start, like if you do it by hand you will hear it hiss somewhere, this particular hissing you are describing without me actually being there to hear it it would be hard for me to really say what you are hearing is normal or not.
As for the starting issue could be a carb issue since you have to increase fuel to keep it from stalling (popping thru carb is a lean issue), but you could have a few little problems, possibly carb and maybe even a timing adjustment

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I would say to not tear into it until you have done more diagnostics to have a better idea of where you need to be working at. If moneys tight, you don't want to spend it on replacing parts that are still good. You may end up spending less to actually fix it as opposed to just chasing the problem.

G

·
chrysler300le said:
sounds like a big vacuum leak like when the hose to the brake booster is left unplugged or the hose to the PCV valve is unhooked. I"ve had back fireing in the past blow the PCV hose off.
Agreed.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think its your carb.......sounds like its running way lean.......Get under there and make sure all of your vacume lines are hooked up. Then adjust your mixture, Then re-time it.

Then again....something tells me your ignition module might have taken a crap.

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
If you want to check the head gasket, remove the rad cap ( engine cold!!), start it up and watch for bubbles in the rad fluid. Run the engine long enough for the thermostat to open just to be sure.

Kind of a poor mans gasket check! It's never lied to me yet.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, thanks for the advice guys. I don't know what the hell I did, but I got the old friggin pig to start tonight. I DO know I took the carb off, put some gasket sealer on it, put it back on, then I put some blue RTV silicone around the manifold, and that helped a bit. I then screwed the fuel needles 2 1/2 turns out on my Eddy,and it started to idle a little. So I set the rpm screw up a little, and it idles kinda high now, but it Idles smooth. I still don't trust it because its still hissing at me. I traced it to the back left head. Still can't find out where, but the way I see it, if I go out in a couple of days, and my truck starts, and idles for about 20 minutes, then I just might have this old beast of burden cornered. Wish me luck guys, see you in two days....

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lonewolfdodge said:
Well, thanks for the advice guys. I don't know what the hell I did, but I got the old friggin pig to start tonight. I DO know I took the carb off, put some gasket sealer on it, put it back on, then I put some blue RTV silicone around the manifold, and that helped a bit. I then screwed the fuel needles 2 1/2 turns out on my Eddy,and it started to idle a little. So I set the rpm screw up a little, and it idles kinda high now, but it Idles smooth. I still don't trust it because its still hissing at me. I traced it to the back left head. Still can't find out where, but the way I see it, if I go out in a couple of days, and my truck starts, and idles for about 20 minutes, then I just might have this old beast of burden cornered. Wish me luck guys, see you in two days....
Well, it lives. Idled nicely today, amazing thing is, I never used a timing light to set it. Starts pretty much on the first hit, and idles smooth. Still hissing badly though when I shut it off. I'm gonna do the "spray" test tommorow to check for vacuum leaks. But, yeah, its alive. So, one problem down, a million to go....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts