Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got R12 in my AC system right now, but I'm getting tired of running to mexico to charge it. I saw this HC-12a stuff and they have a sealent that you can put in to stop those little slow leaks. Anyone use this stuff before and have any comments on it? It's supposed to be better than the 134a. Wanted to find out before I start to work on it.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
l,d get an o-ring kit and reseal yer system and make one last run to mexico / never heard of the other stuff / 134 works pretty good and its cheap

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I'm not to sure on that 134 conversion stuff, over 1/2 of everyone that I have heard change to it has gone back because the condensor up front is just not big enough to displace the heat from a converted 134 system. Unless you do a custom and up size the condensor.

The HC-12a or something like it was mentioned a while back you might do a search for it. It is to be even better than R-12 what I have read about it.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
You will still have to evacuate the whole system before putting in the new HC-12a according to the directions but it is compatable with the rest of your system. I would reccommend getting new seals and new filter/drier. The aluminum crush gaskets are only a few bucks for all you will need or if you have o-rings on your system those are pretty cheap too. I saw some new style aluminum gaskets at the store, they have a soft layer of foam rubber (I'm guessing on that) bonded to both sides of the gasket for a better chance at sealing. Should improve things.

Of course if you have lots of $$$ your could spring for a new "H" block while your at it and replace that gasket too. Small chance that your lines are leaking but the only way to know for sure is to evacuate the system and see if it holds a vacuum or run one of those leak detect system wiht the UV dye and black light.

The HC-12a (HC is for hydrocarbon) is basically a few steps from propane (I sell propane and propane accessories, I tellyouwhat)

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
When you charge your system with R12 have you been putting in R12 oil also? The oil can plug really small leaks as well as its other functions. Big leaks are another matter, then you should do as DODGEBOYS suggested and re-seal your system. Another option is to clean out your suitcase as shown in the HOW TO section of this website. That will improve the efficiency of your AC system and not cost you much. I steered clear of the 134a stuff myself.

Mac

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Fix the leaks.. You shouldn't have to recharge the system often at all; especially with R-12 in it. Unless it has leaks it will generally maintain a charge for MANY years.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replys. The seals are about a year old, as is the dryer which i replaced last year when I put in a new (used) compressor. I've cleaned out the suitcase, sprayed it down with some aluminum cleaner and it's all shiny and perrrty. I also got some fiberglass insulation that has that aluminum backing that they use in building a/c systems and wraped it put it around the blower motor in the engine compartment to try and keep it from heating up and passing it to the ducts inside. Finally, I put some pipe insulation on the high cold line running to the cab. It was blowing nice last year, but this year isn't cooling, so i figured it lost some refrigerant over the course of the year. The reason I was interested in the HC-12a was because I saw that it came with some leak sealent. And for the price, it's not to bad, plus i can always get a hold of more and fill it myself.
http://www.autocool-refrigerants.com/product.htm#tech%20page
it looks like it will also put less stress on the compressor and hopefully let it las longer plus take less power from the motor to run it. I just didn't know if all the "claims" were true and wanted to see if anyone else had used it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had freeze 12 put in my A/C earlier this year - it worked great until it all leaked out... I need to replace my seals (I can see it is leaking at the block near the firewall) anyone here using freeze-12?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ram said:
I'm not to sure on that 134 conversion stuff, over 1/2 of everyone that I have heard change to it has gone back because the condensor up front is just not big enough to displace the heat from a converted 134 system. Unless you do a custom and up size the condensor.
Ok then what is the difference on between my 90 RC (for sale!) R134 conversion and my 92 RC's R134 from the factory? The only visible difference on the 92 from *any* other RC that I've owned is the canister with the sight buble (dryer) looks larger and of course I have a factory Vac operated heater valve. I've heard this would help with the AC temps. Anyone with a parts manual wanna check if the condenser and evaporators are the same between the R12 trucks and R134 trucks?

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
When you take the older R-12 system and re-fit all the seals for the higher pressure for the new R-134, your front condenser is not large enough to displace the heat from a "less" efficient gas then what it was used to work with, that R-12 kicks ass as far as efficiency compared to the R-134.

That newer model that you have from the factory has been engineered with a larger front coil and has better seals from the start so when it came from the factory with R-134 its performance was almost comprable to that of what an orignal from the factory R-12 system.

Hope this makes more sense.

That newer HC-12A is a hydro carbon based (in other words its a flamable gas like propane or natural gas) it is even more efficent then the old now barley available R-12 Freon. So if you converted over to the HC-12A or its equivelant it would work better then the R-12. Only if you didn't have leaking seals and or coils and hoses or a bad compressor. It is to be compatable with any oil that was in your system and does not break down with moisture and need a new dryer as the R-12 or R-134 would. Follow the link for more info:
http://www.autocool-refrigerants.com/product.htm

As for actual 90 to 92 or other years condensor part numbers I can't help with that one. Maybe someone with those manuals can chime in an help their!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Ram,

Makes plenty of sense to me. I was curious cause I think there is a teeny tiny leak somewhere and they sell a seal product that you can put in with the hc-12a. I just recently recharged my 134a system in my impala with a can that had some sort of leak seal already mixed in with the 134. It seems to work just fine. I was thinking of switching over to the hc-12a, i think i'll go ahead and do it, especially since it's more efficient.

·
Premium Member
8,689 Posts
most of the leak seal stuff is just crap, its just a thicker oil to hopefully stop the leak up for a while, as for 134a the efficiancy issue is because r 12 condenses (turns back into liquid refrigerant) at a lower pressure/temperature than 134a, about 30-40 psi lower, therefore needing less passes/loops thru the coil to return to the liquid state, if the refrigerant does not fully liquify by the time it reaches the outlet of the condenser you will be starving the expansion valve as is usually the case with 134a conversions, I have tried hot shot ( which is propane based) and 409a which is the r 12 replacement for stationary refrigeration,(like walk in coolers and ice machines and such) and freeze 12 , i have had good luck with all 3 but i prefer freeze 12 so far, as its suction and discharge pressures/temperatures (<read efficiancy) are the closest to the original r 12

1 - 12 of 12 Posts