Dodge RamCharger Central banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
62,354 Posts
Thats it. Cheaper to make a batch of things, and then move on to something else, and not worry about parts diagrams, repair parts supply, and so on.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Don't forget that many things today are made to be used, tossed, and replaced.
Like high paid employees. My company just announced they are shitcanning the finance and accounting employees and transferring all of the finance and accounting to India where the highest paid accountants make a whopping $2.50 an hour. So next month they are starting with 150 employees getting WARN notices. (Not me thankfully)
That's the American way. A paint company I once worked for did that about 20 years ago. Got rid of all the book keepers, which was fairly easy since the computerization of the whole billing AP/AR process.

I'm sure some small group of MF's in HQ are patting themselves on the back.

The less dependent a person is upon the other members of the human race, the better more secure life they will have.

Bucky

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Obsolescence wasn’t always with us.

I realize living in Iowa, it’s ground zero for tractors, but I’m continually astounded at how much equipment from the 30s to the 70s is still in use. The big boys don’t use it but every swingin dick like me who doesn’t farm professionally does.

I just helped my neighbor today with baling hay. He was using a McCormick baler I’d guess was from the 60s pulled by a Farmall H from the mid 50s.

Neighbor is 82. I’ve never seen anyone under the age of 60 who really knew how to fine tune a baler.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
around here, the big farmers are using NEW John Deere tractors for the most part, but on the ranching side where tractors are used as tools to assist in building fence, putting out hay, discing fire breaks down fence lines and shredding, the purely mechanical tracts are in extremely high demand, with the 4440 being the one that everyone wants.

In our family ranch's case, the capitol expenditure for this year is going to be used for drilling a new water well as one of our current wells has collapsed casing (it was drilled in the late 30's). That alone is going to cost 20K, hence why I'm fixing the tractor myself as there simply isn't $$ to fix it.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Obsolescence wasn’t always with us.

I realize living in Iowa, it’s ground zero for tractors, but I’m continually astounded at how much equipment from the 30s to the 70s is still in use. The big boys don’t use it but every swingin dick like me who doesn’t farm professionally does.

I just helped my neighbor today with baling hay. He was using a McCormick baler I’d guess was from the 60s pulled by a Farmall H from the mid 50s.

Neighbor is 82. I’ve never seen anyone under the age of 60 who really knew how to fine tune a baler.
I use my neighbors old Deere when I need a tractor. I'm guessing it is from the 70's. Big ass 4WD. Back when they weren't made of plastic. Back when they knew how to build them. When they weren't full of electronics and air conditioning. The old ones just keep going and they're tuff as hell. But, he has moved. Off to retire in a neighborhood and his tractor is gone. I guess I'll have to get my own now. lol

·
Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,625 Posts
around here, the big farmers are using NEW John Deere tractors for the most part, but on the ranching side where tractors are used as tools to assist in building fence, putting out hay, discing fire breaks down fence lines and shredding, the purely mechanical tracts are in extremely high demand, with the 4440 being the one that everyone wants.

In our family ranch's case, the capitol expenditure for this year is going to be used for drilling a new water well as one of our current wells has collapsed casing (it was drilled in the late 30's). That alone is going to cost 20K, hence why I'm fixing the tractor myself as there simply isn't $$ to fix it.
Your family's ranch isn't near the Ewing's ranch by any chance is it? 🤣

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Your family's ranch isn't near the Ewing's ranch by any chance is it? 🤣

haha no...that's north of Dallas....we're south of Kingsville...about a 9 hour drive apart.

what's funny is that 10 years or so ago an oil company was begging and pleading for us to lease them some acreage to drill some wells, they drilled the first well (which was the deepest drilled well for that county at the time) and hit gas instead of oil...they P&A'd (plugged and abandoned) the well since it wasn't what they were looking for.

Now natural gas is getting stupid high on price and I'm hoping we'll get a phone call.

·
Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,625 Posts
God bless Texas 👍

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
just to update the thread...

I removed the oil pain which weighs as much as a small block V8 bare block and was able to visually inspect the bottom of the liners....it had a slight liner leak for the past few years but suddenly let go...then I pulled the petcock off of the side of the block and found some rust sludge for coolant. All of this was an entirely avoidable expense. I kinda blame myself a bit for not being more pro-active in the maintenance on the tractor, I typically just check engine and hydraulic oil levels and jump on it when I need to use it.

My uncle is pretty upset with himself for letting this happen....but next up is to pull the pistons and liners and then decide if we buy an entire in-frame overhaul kit, or just replace all the liner seals and liners with visual sealing surface damage only.

I want to put a full in-frame kit in it, but $$'s tight.

based on my reasearch, there's only two supplies of rebuild kits, Reliance and Maxiforce, looks like most folks use Reliance, when it comes to the head gasket though, FelPro is the OEM and I can't seem to figure out how to buy a FelPro gasket without spending big money at the john deere dealership.

I also need to talk my uncle into us buying the "Hy-Performance" pistons & liners that bump the compression up 1.25 points. I drove my bother-in-laws JD 4020 yesterday with this setup and it was a rocketship copared to our tractor.

Attachments

21 - 30 of 30 Posts