Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well - i'm having an odd problem that hasn't even been covered (that i can see after 34 pages of subjects)

I've got an '85 RC 150 Royal SE (only means more chrome) and my door locks are really posessed. The truck can be driving, sitting, with or without key and the locks will suddenly lock. The STRANGE part is that when they lock, they don't just lock... it's like the switch is being pushed down to the point where it arcs across, causing the locks to lock, unlock, lock, unlock, etc...

Any suggestions? usually if i just go ahead and lock the doors (by pushing the driver's lock all teh way down) it will stop, but sometimes, it's almost impossible to unlock the doors manually, WITH teh key (from the outside)

It's really getting to be a pain in the ass - so ANY help is appreciated.
???

·
Registered
30,111 Posts
there is a position switch that tells it its locked or unlocked / if its bad you get what you got / that or the switch its self is bad

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! i'll have to check that out today... any (if even vague) descriptions of the switch itself? and - is there a bypass, or some other solution? (without spending $$ which i have none of right now) ;)

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
I had the same problem with my 84 RC. I just took out that switch and use it like manual locks now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what i ended up doing was removing the driver's door panel and simply disconnecting the electric lock assembly. (it was just a plug housed in a rubber sheath)

it doesn't seem to have affected any of the other systems, and all other door controls work as per normal. Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
similar problem was on my 89 rc when i got it. driver lock motor was seized and wouldnt let me unlock it or lock it manually or with power. i just opened up the door panel and pulled the motor out and it all works fine now. i only need power on the passenger side anyways. but does anyone know where to get the power motors and how much? i saved mine so i can show any parts guys what they look like.

·
Registered
162 Posts
StandardByker88 said:
similar problem was on my 89 rc when i got it. driver lock motor was seized and wouldnt let me unlock it or lock it manually or with power. i just opened up the door panel and pulled the motor out and it all works fine now. i only need power on the passenger side anyways. but does anyone know where to get the power motors and how much? i saved mine so i can show any parts guys what they look like.
Have you tried to fix the one that you have? Both of mine were siezed up from sitting for two years. It took a while, but I got them working again. See if you can move the arm. Unless you're sure it's fried, you could try getting some penitrating oil inside the motor, hook it up to the connector in the door, and try cycling the switch back and forth.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well - the problem isn't that the locks are sticking... it's that the switch (i'm assuming it's the position switch) is 'stuck/stuttering' between 'lock' and 'unlock'... so - i just disconnected the rubber-sleeved powr leads (i'm assuming because i was working mostly blind) that i assume went to the position switch, thus giving the truck no signal to lock OR unlock... so - they work fine as manual locks right now.

but i DID discover that on teh passenger side, the switch had come apart on the inside, and so was probably shorting across, causing my problem (and when i locked the doors, it moved the switch to a position where it had a good connection)

not sure if i can fix the switch or not... anyone got a diagram? (hint hint Chump)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts