Dodge RamCharger Central banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1979 Dodge Ramcharger truck shifts into second with no problems but it has a hard time getting into third gear. If I accelerate the truck, it will not go into third. The rpms go up and up with no shift into third. I also noticed that when I remove my foot from the accelerator when the tach hits 2200 rpms it drops into third. Then it rides normally. Is this normal for a 1979 Dodge Ramcharger Do I have to remove my foot off the accelerate at 2200 rpms in order to shift into 3rd gear? Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
[email protected]
I forgot to mention it has a 360 engine with an automatic transmission.

·
Registered
30,039 Posts
a syncro in an automatic / the tranny kick down linkage needs to be adjusted/ thats the linkage from the carb to the tranny / just make sure it didnt fall apart thats why it aint working

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
How is the 1-2 shift? Firm, Soft, Hard? Sounds like your kickdown linkage is loose and needs to be readjusted.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
adjust the kickdown linkage.

Mine acts the same way, but I did it that way on purpose. She won't go into third below 45 mph.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
How did you do that?

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Looks like I missed something like its an automatic. With an automatic kick down linkage

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
If its not the kickdown linkage then its the front clutches in the tranny worn out.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My truck does the same thing, take my foot off the gas and it shifts into third, shift from 1st to second is smooth. I have tried adjusting the kickdown linkage underneath the truck with the throttle wide open and then pushing the rod all the way forward and then tightening down again. Still has troubles shifting. Can someone post a photo of what the throttle linkage should look like on top of the engine?

Also, if it the front clutches are worn out, how do you replace those? Full rebuild? I have a 88 with a 727

·
Super Moderator
14,119 Posts
Start a new thread. This one is nearly 14 years old.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.