Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know steve up in wolverton has, but any of you locals ever rebuilt a 727 or would be interested in doing one? Or at least got the tools to do it if I get around to it?
Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,258 Posts
No just helped with a turbo 400 you just need a big workbench to lay it all out in the order you took it apart. They look more intimidating than they actually are. Didn't use a whole lot of special tools, a dial indicator is all I remember needing outside of regular tools.

If you pull it, you'll save $$$ on labor if you end up having it rebuilt by somebody.

P.S. dont deal with that scam artist in St. Paul who advertises in the Tradin Times, I know chevy guys who thought they got great deals from him on gm trannies until they failed at a few hundred miles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,533 Posts
I built the 727 I have in the yellow truck myself, it is not terrible to do but you need some special drivers if you want to change all the bushings. First time I did mine I didn't have 3rd and reverse so you probably don't want my help, LOL. Took it apart and I forgot one oil seal, that is what happens when you tear it apart and don't put it back together for a month or so. That is when I learned that you can check the drumbs for leaks and such by using compressed air at the ports where the vavle body bolts on.


P.S. 91PowerRam I just happen to notice your Rock Falls race way link. You go their often, I haven't been their for a couple of years now, never seem to find time any more, actually it has probably been since 95-96 area. Use to go for the Muscle Car week ends, don't know if they even still have them or not. Maybe we can hook up some time down thier, haha "hook up" that is one thing I do remember, seems like very little traction on their start line when I ran a couple of times
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,258 Posts
Mopar_Mudder said:
P.S. 91PowerRam I just happen to notice your Rock Falls race way link. You go their often, I haven't been their for a couple of years now, never seem to find time any more, actually it has probably been since 95-96 area. Use to go for the Muscle Car week ends, don't know if they even still have them or not. Maybe we can hook up some time down thier, haha "hook up" that is one thing I do remember, seems like very little traction on their start line when I ran a couple of times
yeah that would be cool I try to get down there a couple times each summer. There's a yellow 68 Dart from MN that gets about three feet of daylight under his tires for about the first 50 feet so traction seems to be okay these days ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,533 Posts
Maybe they have improved it then, I know that they have done alot of stuff to it since I have been their last. I know at that time I could get better traction on the street then I could on their start line.

Keep in tuch if you head over their again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
91PowerRam said:
No just helped with a turbo 400 you just need a big workbench to lay it all out in the order you took it apart. They look more intimidating than they actually are. Didn't use a whole lot of special tools, a dial indicator is all I remember needing outside of regular tools.

If you pull it, you'll save $$$ on labor if you end up having it rebuilt by somebody.

P.S. dont deal with that scam artist in St. Paul who advertises in the Tradin Times, I know chevy guys who thought they got great deals from him on gm trannies until they failed at a few hundred miles
I've seen that ad in the tradin times but I never actually called. When I first called around I tried to stay with in a few miles of my home because theres about 7 or 8 within a few miles. I've got a big table that I'm going to set up in the garage but I'm still waiting on the book I ordered last week. Funny thing. At JCW the book is 15 bucks and the shipping is 10 bucks but yet, it still will take at least a week before they even ship it. And yes i looked elsewhere but the books were more than at JCW even with shipping. If you guys can think of any help full tips or tricks please!!! post em here or email them over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,258 Posts
$10 shipping on a $15 book? shipping and handling is such a ripoff these days.
Yeah when I finish the engine in my car I'm gonna have to learn by building the 727 myself or take it somewhere and spend $$$

Well I sure don't have any tranny tips ???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Richfield Transmission shop, will do a full rebuild for $495 w/ a warranty if you pull it out and put it in. you just have to bring it back so they can inspect the instalation. That was the best deal with a warranty that I found. I found a couple of other places that were about $400 for a full rebuild but no warranty. I'm working on a 904 as a guinea pig to see if I really want to attemp the rebuild on my RC's tranny. Seeing as how the 904 is a downsized version of the 727. If you want to learn, you're more than welcome to assist me when I actually dig into my 727. Or you can just rebuild it for me, buy the parts and then give it back for free. That way I can have some peace of mind knowing that I have someone else to blame when it craps out again. Probably won't be for another month tho.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,258 Posts
Dodge 85 RC said:
Or you can just rebuild it for me, buy the parts and then give it back for free. That way I can have some peace of mind knowing that I have someone else to blame when it craps out again.
I'd rather build you a 410 stroker SB I have a good stock bore 360 just sitting around, using all the best parts it would only cost me 6 grand to give you a free engine.

I have two 727's sitting around (but one is Steves) and the BB car tranny only has like 1000 miles on it so I don't want to experiment with it ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok why don't you do that. 6000 your cost, 0 my cost, I think I could go for that ;D
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top