Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm having a hard time after the truck is warmed up to normal temps
i'll turn it off and its really hard to crank back up. i think it might be 'vapor lock'? the intake and carb are really hot to the touch. I have a pretty much brand new 1405 edelbrock. i've seen people use alum. foil on the gas line or even run a electric fuel pump to get the line away from the engine? what other things could cause it to have hard starts after running it for ~30 minutes. thanks alot.

·
Registered
29,688 Posts
# 1 bad starter - good when cold bad when hot / do an AMP draw test to check it # 2 timing is to advanced and when its hot there is to much cylinder pressure but a good starter will over come this / use hi-temp hot water insulation on the gas line / # 3 do a thermostat and gasket / # 4 hows the fan clutch / is the RAD full of mud and debris

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my problem is almost exactly like what this guy describes in his first post. Except mine never dies randomly at all http://ramchargercentral.com/boards/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=38346;start=0

I have electric fans and a clean radiator. mech. fuel pump, regular rubber gas lines i got at the 'Zone. the thermostat is maybe 2 months old, but i will check it out also. i might just run no thermostat.

i will check timing as soon as i can get a timing light.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm uncertain on what 'hard to crank up' means? Slow like a dead / low battery? Fast crank for an extended period to get it to start? If its the first, the others have made good suggestions.. if its the second, sounds like a fuel problem. If its real hot check the ehxaust flapper on the passenger side exhaust manifold. it should move very freely.. it is spring loaded, should flip back and forth with a finger. (don't try it hot!) Sounds to me like this is stuck either closed or partially closed and is excessively heating the intake manifold. Could actually be boiling the fuel out of the float bowl after you shut down! This excessive heat will damage gaskets and such so it is a detriment to your vehicle.

Good Luck!

Bruce

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it cranks fast but won't start

i don't have an egr valve... aluminum intake manifold edelbrock

i don't know about that exhaust flapper? its on the passenger side? bottom of the manifold? the carb gets so hot you can barely touch it. so does the manifold. I know for a fact when i took off the old intake manifold the center ports(the ones that have nothing to do with the intake of air and gas) were clogged up as hard as a rock with some black deposits. I have a set of headers for it, just haven't had time to put them on

·
Registered
552 Posts
sounds like the choke could use adjustment maybe?

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
passenger side lower manifold-heat riser valve tends to sieze-bruce has the right idea,the counterweight should rotate freely when its cold .if its stuck it'll cook out all the gaskets in a short time.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Don't run without a thermostat. They put those in for a reason. In the summer time, it restricts the flow to keep it in the radiator so it gets cooled off. In the winter, it keeps it in the engine till the truck warms up, helping it warm up faster.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Space the carb up with a couple of extra gaskets and a heat shield plate to isolate the carb from the manifold. Aluminum transfers heat so well it could just be boiling the gas out of the carb.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
installed the passenger side header i had and now it cranks up fine after being warmed up. I didn't have time to install the drivers side header yet (i had to go to the Alabama game.. Roll Tide!). but i will tackle that next weekend. it really helped to remove the fenderwell when installing the headers. I drove it around the block with pretty much 'open headers' and it was way loud. 3rd gear wide open throttle sounded like nascar. I still have to find someone with a timing light also. since i have no idea what it is set at.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts