Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I'm asking this question for a roomate, since I am stumped by what might be wrong with his dodge. It's an 86 dodgeramcharger, 5.9 liter, carb, automatic. And the problem is that when it's hot, it just doenst want to start. It will whine and whine... and just start loosing juice in the battery (new battery) because he tried to start it again and again... but no go. So right now it basically gets him to work... and then after 6 hours of cooling down it will get him back and he cant drive it other than that, he cant even shut it off at the gas station. It's getting fuel though, that isnt the problem. Starter maybe? It wouldnt start today first thing in the morning... so he's really getting worried now that he might not be able to make it to work, so any ideas would be really appreaciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have had this problem with an 86" RC & a 86" van, both times it was in the harness by the stupid lean burn computer. It was fine when cold but there was a break in one of the wires & when the engine compartment was hot it would not make connection until it cooled down.

·
29,380 Posts
The heat factor leads me to believe its your ECU (unless your truck has lean burn, niether of my 86's do).
Next time he has a "no start" condition, pull the coil wire off of the distributor cap and hold it 1/4" from a good ground and have somebody turn the engine over and see if there is spark. If not, that'll narrow it down to ignition (which it probably is).
If you do not have spark, to make life easier, take your ECU out and take it to Autozone and have them test it, and buy a new ballast resistor regardless if ECU is bad or not.
P.S. All of this info is assuming no lean burn system.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Be sure to check all grounds and connections.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
The lean burn was an 83 84 years only as far as i know . It definitely seems electrical . Check all the wiring going in to the starter for any breaks or shorts . Also check ballast resistors aswell .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the advice, I will check for spark next time he can't start it. One question though, what is the ballast? and where is the ECU located on his ramcharger?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
My truck also did this right before the starter went south, once it got warmed up it was a bear to re-start, funny thing tho, it did`nt crank unusually slow wich you would think a failing starter would do. It got progressively worse until the old starter finally said "no more" and refused to crank the truck over (leaving me stranded in a 7-11 parking lot...grrr). My theory is that, altho the starter was spinning the motor over fine it was pulling enough amps to degrade the amount of juice necessary to fire the thing over. Long story short, i put in a new starter (and some 1gauge batt cables for insurance) and havent had that problem since.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Timing could have jumped also? Every vehicle I ever had, with bad timing, was hard to start when hot. Just another theory.,,,,Cruisin

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
You say when it's hot. Is that like 'overheatinghot' or just warmed up? If the thing is running hot, then you may just need to get it to run cooler. just a shot!

EZ

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
My 69 Roadrunner was like that a coupel of times.. 1st time I was running a little too much timing advance.. When warmed up.. things fit tighter and turned much slower, backed it down and it was fine till the starter started to die. When the starter was going.. It reached the point of turning slow with dual batteries and jumper cables going to a power pack on the back of the wrecker. Was drawing so much juice the cables would get hot!
Aaron Wyse

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No it's not overheating, it's just warmed up. It will just whine slowly, like it turns over but real slow, and then eventually after maybe 15-20 minutes of attempting to start it... all of the sudden that whining grows faster... and he gives it a little gas and boom it starts up. And still wondering where the ECU is located, thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
The ecu is located on the drivers side firewall. It sounds like your starter, or your starter wiring, may be going south. It doesn't take long to pull a starter, then you can take it and the ecu to autozone for testing.

Also check the drivers side, just in front of the front wheel, for a black box behind the battery. If this is present, it is the lean burn computer, or Electronic Spark Advance computer. I have one on my 85, and the 86 and 87 models were the same way.
The 81-84 models had a box on the side of the airbox, that said spark control computer.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
have you checked the air gap bewteen the pickup & reluctor? The air gap may be increasing enough when hot to prevent starting (weak spark). The spec I use for the air gap is .008", but I have seen specs listed at both .008 and .012". If the gap is much over .012, it is likely the problem. (BTW--this was the cause of hard hot starting on my '87 several years ago)

-SM

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Have you had your starter tested? It may be going south. Starter may also be getting too hot when it's being driven, so it struggles when you try to start it.

EZ

1 - 14 of 14 Posts