Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my 87 ramcharger  4x4 when i go form park to reverse or to drive  or from neturel to drive or reverse it slams hard in to gear then it drives fine it fills like a kick in the pants if i take it form park all the way to first it wont slam at all also if i  drive it will i tear it up any help wold be nice 

·
Registered
722 Posts
First check the transmission fluid. 727's are very sensitive to fluid levels...then the next culprits are the U-joints and then after that are the splines in the driveshafts. If all those are ok you probably have a lot pf play in your axles.

·
29,538 Posts
Sounds like typical 9.25 clunk that most of us have and have lived with for years. It's usually a combination of play betweent the R&P teeth, the crosspin and carrier, and the spider and side gears. Sometimes play in the rear driveline splines can contribute to the "play". Sometimes a good greasing will help, sometimes not.

Do a search under "9.25 clunk" and you'll how common it is.

·
Registered
29,344 Posts
redram80 said:
is your base idle to high ?
KThaxton said:
Good point. High idle will make 9.25 clunk feel like you got rear-ended. ;D
that was my first thought

·
Registered
331 Posts
Agreed with all of the above, however my '85 did the same thing and got worse over time. i finally just started eliminating things and found that the yoke nut on the rear diff was just a little loose, tightened it up no more clunk at all. also check the yoke on the rear of the t-case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
new trans fulid and filter its at low idile and it fills like you got rear ended will this hurt any thing 

1 - 8 of 8 Posts