Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my trans is cold it's quite hard to shift from 2nd to 3rd (doesn't want to come out of second, or go into 3rd), other gears ok. If I let it warm up in the driveway in netural for 5 minutes or so it's better, and/or after a mile or so of driving with a couple stop signs it's ok. Trans seems ok as no noises, grinding etc, no leaks. Clutch seems ok, no trouble shifting when stopped.

Thanks

edit: sorry forgot to add - oil is Royal Purple 85 - 140

·
Registered
29,666 Posts
yer SYNCRO,S are shot for them gears / that or there gummed up / either one / the cold thing got me / its shot / l,d use a lower TEMP fluid / that or FLUSH the tranny / try the flush first / then go with like 30W oil

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok –
1.   What do you suggest for flushing the tranny, I’ve never done anything like this before, I’m not all that good with transmissions.
2.   I will not argue with you about the synchros (I’m guessing you know more than me), lol, but your stressing me out ! A trans rebuild is a big PITA, so lets talk about it a minute ! It doesn’t act like synchronizers (I've driven rigs with bad/no synchronizers before), this acts more like the shift mechanism is hanging up some how (?) I’ve even tried double clutching (which I’m pretty good at) and it doesn’t help. Do you have any other thoughts ? I’m worried that I’m going to bust something trying to get it out of 2nd (it’s that hard). I’m going to try a little experiment tomorrow when it’s cold (some more double clutching stuff, I’ve driven like old tractors with no synchros and again it doesn’t act like that). I’ll get back to you, please hang with me awhile.

Thanks, Mark

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Played around with shifting again this morning. There is no grinding gears when shifting, if the synchros were bad wouldn't they grind ? it's just hard as hell to get out of 2nd.
Probably something I'm missing here, trannys are diffenently my weak point.

Thanks again -

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.