Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here had luck with these or are they junk and the bearings and such are no good? The brand is U.S. General. I have a 25% coupon (still looking for my magnifying glass to read the small print for exclusions)
It's possible I might do better finding a used old craftsman / snap on...but I want to stay under 400.00.

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
Have heard lots of good stuff on them. I have one of the smaller ones that has the top open up. I took the top off, and made an insert to hold my NMTB50 tool holders for my mill. with over 60 tool holders, it is well over the designed weight. It does not move the greatest, but shows no sign of having any issues from the overweight.

I have not seen any of the % off coupons that will work for the tool boxes.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Have you looked at the Husky brand tool chests from Home Depot? I bought a 16 drawer, 41" wide box from them on sale for $399 a couple years ago. It stands about 6ft tall. It's not built like my old Mac box but still built pretty good. I've got some heavy stuff in it and there doesn't seem to be any deflection of binding in the drawers. It was the best bang for the buck that I found, I would get another if I needed one.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the recommendations. Yea, my coupon excluded the toolboxes-I was kind of expecting that. I will go check both out the HF and Husky. On craigslist here there a guy who has a craftsman dresser with another all stacked with table on top and vise for 350. He said he's got over $1800 in it. I don't really need one that big but may not be a bad deal if it's not a set up :) ..almost seems too good to be true.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I picked up the CL deal for 350.00. He made a nice caster frame and top with vise. As happy as I am with it, the hour drive back home all I was thinking about was his offer I turned down to buy all the tools that were in it. There was well over $1k of QUALITY tools there and for another 400 could have bought it all. I just don't have that to spend right now and I have so many tools right now but a hell of a deal that would have been. I probably would have picked through and exchanged some stuff for mine and sold the rest. still tempting to make some $. Hopefully someone that needs them will get them. I still think I did pretty good.

Attachments

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
I have not been in a sears store for about 10 years. But I would say you did good. Looks like the same drawers as my craftsman roll away, It goes back to the mid 80's. Has been great for me.

I like the way he set up the shelf.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He said (guessing) it was approximately 7 years old...I said the older the better. Yea, he did a good job setting it up with the shelf. Very smooth drawers and he added lock covers to put on a padlock. I looked up the vise and it goes for about 170 bucks new.

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
Yea, Wiltons are great vises.

Does it have roller bearing slides? Mine is the old non roller slides, but they still work well with the overloads I have given it.

I like those 3 drawer center sections, I put casters on one, stacked another on top, and they fit perfect under my lathe. And have a couple others on shelves around the shop.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yep. It's all rollers. He also has another support set up on the table that is not visible in the pic.
I've got a couple of old craftsman boxes that were my dad's I put on a bench. I like to keep all his tools in those. Now to organize everything :)
I bet I have 8 toolboxes scattered all over the place and can never find what I need without going to at least 7 of the boxes (It's always in the last box I look). Nice to have a central "main station" now but also still good to have a couple of small boxes with tools in it to move around where you need it. Under the lathe is a great spot for a box to fit perfectly

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
How to organize tools? good luck.

I'm the same way, Many times I spend more time looking for tools, then doing the work. I'm starting to label some of the drawers, so I have to put the tools back there.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So True  ;D

Yea I'm doing the labels on this one....now if I can get the kids to pay attention to those I'll be set! ..or just lock it ;D

·
Registered
99 Posts
I got one of the bigger 54 inch 12 drawer toolboxes about a year ago from Harbor Freight and have been pleased with it. It's sturdy and I have it loaded with tools and a Matco tool box on top of it as well.  I paid right at $800 for it and has held up better than the craftsman one I have.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The US General boxes have long been viewed as a very good deal.  They are strong enough to put up with some abuse for a very good price.  I've got a junk box at the house that is too small for my needs.  I plan to make my work bench tall enough to slip a box underneath.  It'll probably be a US General.

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
A good way to get drawers under a workbench, is to get a good top box, and remove the lid. Then you have access to all the drawers, and the top area can be used as a shelf.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I've got one of the older 44"lower roller box, way better than Craftsman I use the top of it as a workbench I actually like it a lot for the price. you can always find some flaws and some of them a little Dent something wrong and then you can get maybe your 10 to 20% off but you will not be able to use that coupon on any of the chests or tool boxes😎

·
Registered
52,873 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm going to plus one the US General boxes.  I've never had any success getting the 25% off coupons past the checkers, but I did get the top box on a 20% off coupon.  The cash register beeped at her, she muttered, over rode it and out I went.  Be polite, be professional, and have a plan to sweet talk every checker you meet.  Even at full price, they are a good deal in tool boxes.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will definitely go General One for my new box I need given all the good feedback you guys have given. Short of finding the box I bought, I would have purchased the General. For the moment mine has the storage I need along with my other craftsman tool chest stack. Ive been so busy lately haven't even had time to fully load the new tool chest up yet  ;D
I did get the bottom liners cut and put in though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.