Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone used one of those hand held compressor sand blasters? How well would they bring body parts down to bare metal? Is it worth using over a wire wheel? How about removing surface rust on a frame?

-Jesse

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
You have to be very careful sand blasting sheet metal as it overheats the metal and warps it very easily.

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
As long as you have a good 90psi supply of air they will work great compared to a wire wheel.  ;D

I have one and have used it a lot. BUT buy the sand for it and not play sand, or get a screen to sift out the big pieces that will clog up the nozzle.  :-\

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i've got the compressor to handle it alright  :) my shop here at school said they pick up a 100 pound bag for $7-8 or so. does that sound about right?

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
MadMax spoke of some kind of potassium nitrate or something along those lines. Hopefully he will reclarify what he used for the nacho. I recall what ever it was, was primarily used in fertilizer but also an ingredient used for some explosives (not so dangerous by itself)

·
Registered
703 Posts
salt peter?? its for anamals and other things ;D  kinda cool mix some with suger and you can make rocket engines.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
s ǝoɾ said:
MadMax spoke of some kind of potassium nitrate or something along those lines. Hopefully he will reclarify what he used for the nacho. I recall what ever it was, was primarily used in fertilizer but also an ingredient used for some explosives (not so dangerous by itself)
Correct. Potassium nitrate it was.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I bought one of those cheepy Cambell Hausfeld sandblasting gun/tubes from WallyWorld. I used filtered play sand to strip powdercoating off my aluminum G.T. mountain bike frame, worked great. It still clogged once in a while, but worked very well for the price. I have also used it to blast steel bike frames, cast iron and aluminum castings.
I bought the biggest plastic funnel I could find, I think it is about eight inch diameter, cut a seven and a half inch hole in the bottom of a five gallon bucket. Then taped/screwed the plastic funnel to the bucket for a gravity feed hopper that I hung from a ladder rung. I used metal window screen for filtering the play sand back into the hopper. It has small enough openings to get the right media size to do thin metal and aluminum.
It'd be worth the extra cash to get a bigger gun with a pressurized pot/hopper to do bigger projects, bigger than bike frames and old tractor parts, anyway.  8)

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
goatnard said:
It'd be worth the extra cash to get a bigger gun with a pressurized pot/hopper to do bigger projects
I have the pressurized one. {yes}

1 - 9 of 9 Posts