Dodge RamCharger Central banner
121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
I have been buying, selling, stripping for parts for the last 30 years.
When I started there were NO parts for our trucks. The only way you could rebuild your truck is to strip down a truck "more rusty" than the one you are building. Then it got to the point where you could find parts BUT, they really expensive. $150 for an aftermarket fender that doesn't fit correctly. Then, factory used, started costing $150 for a beat up POS. Now you can't even buy a beat up POS rusted out truck for less than $2K WTH!
I hear ya. I know I'm going to need some parts over the next few years when I start tearing into two of my trucks. A 74 RC half door and a 78 TD Sport 440 with AC. The 74 needs all kinds of body panels and the 78 is just a body. No frame, engine, tranny, tailgate, bumpers, etc. I do have my eye on a 77/78 RC down the road that is pretty rotted. I may inquire about that for the frame and running gear. Rumor has it that it has a 440 in it.

Reactions: mopar65pa

·
Registered
52,773 Posts
My middle son wants the 80TD. I have all the body parts it needs BUT I'll have body parts left over too........... a lot of them! LOL.......... :ROFLMAO:

At this point in my life 40 acres of land is more important than the 30 years of parts I have collected. Time to sell them off with the trucks. :cry:

Reactions: RCCADMAN

·
Registered
812 Posts
If money was no object and I had the space.

But my point is, I dont want to have to buy up and stock a bunch of part just in case. I mean, dont get me wrong, I do have a small pile of spares. Couple big block radiators, couple front drive shafts, u joints, bearings, core alternators and starters to rebuild, carburetors and carb parts, etc. Simple and common stuff for the most part.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but the way things are going, this may be necessary if you want to own and maintain an older vehicle.

Scarcity of the vehicles plus the ever changing nature of the automotive and parts industries will likely require us keeping a truck or two or maybe just a cab on hand for spare parts.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Tangentially related so I put it here and not it's own thread....

Did something happen to the value of early B Bodies? Did the market drop out on them?

I remember 20 years ago they were so highly sought after that guys were cutting up 4-doors and turning them into 2 doors just so they could have a Max Wedge clone car. Now I'm seeing solid 2 door projects in the $5-7k range.

Recently I saw two different ads on FB marketplace, both were solid southern cars, no major holes anywhere. They were non-running projects but both had their original motors, missing a few pieces but nothing that was impossible to find. Both were priced at $6500. A few weeks ago I saw another one, 2 door, similar shape but slightly more rusty, for $5k.

Here is one of them, for example:

Strange to see project B bodies going for the same price or maybe just a bit more as a decent Ramcharger driver.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Here is another example. Missing more parts, but priced cheaper than some A body projects in similar shape. I'd bet the guy would take far less than $3500.

15-20 years ago these cars were gold in almost any shape. Apparently interest in them has dropped.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but the way things are going, this may be necessary if you want to own and maintain an older vehicle.

Scarcity of the vehicles plus the ever changing nature of the automotive and parts industries will likely require us keeping a truck or two or maybe just a cab on hand for spare parts.
I agree, just wish it wasnt that way.

·
Super Moderator
1,541 Posts
I really don't think there's anything new about having a hard time finding parts for a 45 year old vehicle. For myself, I've always enjoyed the hell out of having a spare cars worth of parts in the warehouse. It started as a routine maintenance thing, got a bit out of hand but will be a nice retirement project. I do kinda regret not having my spare acre filled with $400 parts trucks and / or the u-pull-it scores I've walked past that could be well flipped.

·
Registered
52,773 Posts
My wife doesn't like the 4 trucks of stuff in the sheds and the garage. :ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
29,633 Posts
Hagerty is full of shit, as usual. They just released a list of "collector cars" to buy now. On the list of 10 are '85-'95 Suzuki Samurais and '75-'93 Volvo 245 Wagons. Yes, by all means please go pay their recommended $16k for something you probably can't get $5k out of tomorrow. I'm also not sure how collectable Sammies are for $10k. A trail built one maybe, but they say stock and would probably devalue the much more desirable modified one.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Hagerty is full of shit, as usual. They just released a list of "collector cars" to buy now. On the list of 10 are '85-'95 Suzuki Samurais and '75-'93 Volvo 245 Wagons. Yes, by all means please go pay their recommended $16k for something you probably can't get $5k out of tomorrow. I'm also not sure how collectable Sammies are for $10k. A trail built one maybe, but they say stock and would probably devalue the much more desirable modified one.
sAMMIES REALLY DID, AND PROBABLY STILL DO, HAVE A CULT FOLLOWING. (OOPS, CAPS) The volvo's? Maybe the 70's, but the later ones were junk. Always breaking down and parts malfunctioning. My dad had a wagon late 90's. Rubbish!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
I was in my MECUM account today and did a search on the 70's tins. The power wagons are bringing the same values.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
254 Posts
Exactly. What I want is some recognition from the manufacturers that SHOULD be making parts for these trucks. The car shows I watch that can buy everything they want to restore a chevy truck, yet we can't even get door panels or dash pads. It's frustrating. I've also been trying to get Hagerty to add in the 74 under the SE. They have yet to do it. Not feelin' the love. If I can help it, I will never sell mine. I just need more parts built for them. Otherwise we will never have Concours condition trucks.
Id be happy with just half the tin patches the Chevy guys get!! What do we get? Rockers, front pans, and some cheezy front fenders.. Some times you might be able to source a cab bracket, but really anything eise you either need to cut up a non rusted cab, or make it.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Ther is an auction coming up in Kissimmee FL that has 4 on the block (70's and 80's). I'll have to look after that auction in January

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
JAN 06 2022 in FL
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

• Wow

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Sun Jan 09 2022... 318 very clean in and out

Automotive parking light Vehicle Land vehicle Car Automotive side marker light

• Wow

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Another dodge truck to go on the block today. Macho Power wagon tomorrow, as well as a 66 D200 and 85 Ram prospector.

121 - 138 of 138 Posts