Dodge RamCharger Central banner
81 - 100 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
all my autos ( ok they are trucks ) qualify for historic in nys,  25 years ... 

·
Administrator
61,006 Posts
I wish they had something like that here. I guess there is too many old vehicles on the road here. I would guess that 20 to 30% of the vehicles on the roads here, are 70's and older.

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
4,794 Posts
We have lots of old vehicles driving around here also. We have a province run (state run) auto insurance industry in British Columbia (some like it, some hate it). I like it because they are regulated unlike private insurance companies that can charge whatever they want. We have a "collector car" policy that lets you modify your collector car. It even let's you use it for other purposes other than pleasure use as long as you have another vehicle insured and in use.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
SuperBurban said:
I wish they had something like that here. I guess there is too many old vehicles on the road here. I would guess that 20 to 30% of the vehicles on the roads here, are 70's and older.
I pictured beemers and the like there , ya know , land rover , not cheap jeep .... I watch some of the "BUYING " here and there , home prices are outrageous .... IMO .. Real estate tax here is a high % per thousand of home's "value" but with no mortgage its doable . 2 types , wellies , and red neck farmers .... ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,541 Posts
Classic vs antique is all about the age of the vehicle and not about who thinks what is a classic. The DMV used to be kinda retentive about an antique being "as produced" or at least "period correct" when applying for that registration. I always submitted copies of dealer brochures / magazine ads and never got questioned.

If you're plowing for profit, think ya need some kinda commercial or straight truck tag. If yer plowing yerself and a couple neighbors, classic vs antique doesn't really matter and it shouldn't be hard convincing a york magistrate that a york cop doesn't know the vehicle code. Would clearly also make a difference on the liability insurance side.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Certainly, rarity has always jacked up prices on anything potentially collectible. First gen RC's have become rare by attrition. Any recent car cruise I've been to...I'm the only RC there.

Disclaimer: I'm blatantly biased. I love the full size RC. Bronco's, cool. Jeeps, cool too. Just way too small. Then factor the remaining RC chassis'?

Bronco & Jeep owners are largely in awe having never looking closely at a RC before. Their mistake. However, the reverse? I'm envious of the price I see the original Bronco fetching.

I really dislike the increased value-based premium, but seems like Hagerty is finally recognizing them for what they are. Of course, while reaching deeper in to your pocket. God forbid I ever have an accident in it. But if I do? I'll gladly take the increased value so I can quickly start all over again.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
SuperBurban said:
PA doesn't have to worry about it because everything that old here is rotted out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
'PA doesn't have to worry about it because everything that old here is rotted out.'

That, sadly, is another example of the 'attrition' I was referring to. Tough to see cool old vehicles rotting away. 

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
4,794 Posts
It is tough to watch treasures rotting away. Like this '70 Cuda.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Canadian country boy said:
It is tough to watch treasures rotting away. Like this '70 Cuda.
Graveyard Cars need to get hold of that one. But they don't normally take cars that aren't big money VIN's unless it's just for parts or a quick flip.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Canadian country boy nailed it with that pic. Is that a shaker hood?

Sad to think how often this happens. I just don't get it.

Someone had to be enough of a car enthusiast to buy this car in the first place. And yes, I do understand finances - certainly the lack thereof - can get in the way of dreams and projects...but do you let it rot into nothing of value? Do people not know that rust repair, body work & (proper) paint can be one of your biggest expenses?

Or, too often, someone watches a car auction and see's something similar sell for $100K. Barring a Hemi or other rare spec cars, next thing they want $15,000 for their hunk of junk - that used to be a very cool Barracuda. The result? More sitting. More rotting. Sucks...

·
4,794 Posts
It's a 440+6 with a 4 speed. All original. I posted a video of it over in the random video thread.

·
Registered
131 Posts
It is good to see some recognition for these trucks finally. Yet like many have said that rusted POS out back is not now worth $5K. When it comes to registration and stuff I wish the gov't would just piss off already. In CA they force you to register a truck as a commercial vehicle with the extra fees. Just because it has a fully usable bed. I got pissed and asked them why, and they just said, "that's how we've done it for years." One of the many reasons I left. Out here in Ohio they really don't care about old trucks at least. Cost me $90 for tags out here.

Sad to see that Cuda sitting. Cannot wrap my head around people letting projects sit like that for any reason. At some point they have to be let go. Saved my D200 from rotting away from behind a barn, but boy does it need some love.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
And up and up and up they go...

Rectangle Font Number Screenshot Parallel

Up almost $10K since this thread started almost 2 years ago.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
And still just BJ BS
No kidding. You'll never find a Ramcharger in Concours condition and only idiots pay that much for a truck at Mecum or the like.

Reactions: mopar65pa

·
Registered
392 Posts
Ive noticed in my area in southern Indiana, especially the last couple years, people are starting to ask $10k for rusted covered trucks. Nice ones are listed well into the $20k range.

For some reason, 70s and 80s Dodges in my area are starting to become more popular than the Ford and Chevy trucks of the same era.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
What I have read is that the muscle car industry has priced many people out of that market. Especially the Mopar cars. People are turning to the trucks now and folks that know that are pricing their trucks accordingly. So find those rust buckets and stock up on the rare models! LOL (I have two 74 half doors, a 78 TD 440, and a 77 RWD with factory suregrip.)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
For some reason, 70s and 80s Dodges in my area are starting to become more popular than the Ford and Chevy trucks of the same era.
That's cuz Chevy and Ford owners think they have gold plated trucks. They priced themselves out of the competition and people know they can turn to the mopar trucks for a better price... and eventually a better return.

• Haha
81 - 100 of 138 Posts