·
Registered
52,716 Posts
They are great for taking heavy rust scale off not paint.  :-\

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Those are fun....  {no}
Couldnt tell you if the HF is good or not tho.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mopar65pa said:
They are great for taking heavy rust scale off not paint. :-\
Rats, no big deal though. I can get it looking good enough for paint, it's not like it will stay pretty for long :p

Thanks guys !

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
Mojack said:
Rats, no big deal though. I can get it looking good enough for paint, it's not like it will stay pretty for long :p

Thanks guys !
I use a wire wheel on a drill for that stuff or a "twisted" wire wheel on a grinder. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
I have a comment on the text of the subject.

Harbor Freight tools aren't consistent.  Some of the stuff I have picked up there is simply useless.  Other things I have bought have turned out as good or even better than high priced name brands.

I buy their grinders because as bad as I treat grinders I would rather just throw them away when I break them.  If I was buying a circular saw (for wood work) I would go somewhere else and buy a real one.

One thing that I have been really happy with, price and usability, is their lifting straps and jerk straps.  I use them all the time and have never had any type of failure.

Their power steering pulley puller has been used over and over as well.

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
workgoats said:
I have a comment on the text of the subject.

Harbor Freight tools aren't consistent. Some of the stuff I have picked up there is simply useless. Other things I have bought have turned out as good or even better than high priced name brands.

I buy their grinders because as bad as I treat grinders I would rather just throw them away when I break them. If I was buying a circular saw (for wood work) I would go somewhere else and buy a real one.

One thing that I have been really happy with, price and usability, is their lifting straps and jerk straps. I use them all the time and have never had any type of failure.

Their power steering pulley puller has been used over and over as well.
I agree.

Don't buy a 12" inline sander there I ruined one after 2 cars of work. :-\ BUT I bought a D/A sander and it's still going after 6 cars and trucks and a 3x6 inline sander too after 8 cars. ;)

G

·
For air tools I prefer high quality units like Ingersoll rand and other majors made here. I still have my National Detroit dA sander that I bought in 87 and I used it Professionally (daily) for 7 years and it works as good now as it did then.

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
Web Wheeler said:
For air tools I prefer high quality units like Ingersoll rand and other majors made here. I still have my National Detroit dA sander that I bought in 87 and I used it Professionally (daily) for 7 years and it works as good now as it did then.
I agree Greg but I bought what I could afford. :-\

·
Administrator
60,461 Posts
Their air nailers/ staplers can't be matched by price & quality, I've run 3 or 4 boxes of 2-1/2' & 3" nails through my big nail gun, and it still shows no sign of wear, definitely worth the $50 I paid. I've got several smaller one I paid Y$12 - $30 for, a name brand would not even be close in price.

The metal shear was well worth the price, has never let me down, great for cutting sheet metal.

this vibrating tool has been good so far.

the 4-1/2" grinder I had, died before using up one cutting disk, a Ryobi grinder can be had at Home Depot for a little bit more, and has much more torque.

Anything battery powered, I prefer the Ryobi 1 touch system. I've got batteries that are over eight years old, still going strong.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
SuperBurban said:
Their air nailers/ staplers can't be matched by price & quality, I've run 3 or 4 boxes of 2-1/2' & 3" nails through my big nail gun, and it still shows no sign of wear, definitely worth the $50 I paid. I've got several smaller one I paid Y$12 - $30 for, a name brand would not even be close in price.
The metal shear was well worth the price, has never let me down, great for cutting sheet metal.
Same opinion here. ;)
Their tool quality is hit and miss. But OVERALL, their tools are pretty descent. I have found their paint sprayers to be total junk, but their die grinder, electric grinders, and other air tools to be pretty darn good for the money.
You will notice if you check specialty tool catalog (like the one Summit sends out) much of the tools are HF tools at 2 and 3 times the price. Mile Marker Electric winches for many years were the same as the HF winches. I have known several guys that had HF ones and never had a problem. Only complaint is what they were slow. But heck, 10K lbs winch for $399, I'll buy. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
[.02]
Hit and miss for me too. The more years that pass, the more i hit Vs miss tho.

I am more then pleased with my recent toolbox purchase. Have been abusing a 7" angle grinder for a good 6 months now with no problems. I dont like their nailguns at all, but the framer i bought does operate at it is suposed to, just no depth adjustment except for changing air pressure. They also take a wierd angle on the nail racks, so you are stuck buying the ones at HF. Passlode ones just jam up. Bench grinders are kinda spineless, but can do the job. I have a horizontal bandsaw that my grandpa bought in the early 80's and i still use it to this day. (exact same design as what they still sell) The pitsburg hand tools are ok for general purpose use.

I have had terrible luck with their air tools. Die grinders only last me a few months at work. I went through 3 3/8 air ratchets and all i was using it for was tightening fixture clamps in the mill. All 3 just tied up for no aparent reason within a week. Yes, i oil my tools.

Some things that have turned out to be junk every time are drill bits, bandsaw blades, sawzall blades and jigsaw blades. They dull incredibly fast like it is cheap steel or not hardened enough. The carbide stuff is fine like the router bits. Sandpaper wears out fast, but for the price, i still think it is a good value.

I have a store just down the road, so if i get somthing that craps out real fast, i can just go get another one. They have never given me a hard time.

[/.02]

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Bective is what I do. Some things have to be quality and name brand. Others that you know are one or two time use things you can cut corners on. When I can I intend to try out one of their wenches. The price seems right. But I will also purchase a snach block as well.

·
2013 Ram 1500 2014 Challenger SXT
2,275 Posts
Toyradio said:
When I can I intend to try out one of their wenches. The price seems right.
Made me smile ;D
I don't know what they are selling in Texas, but it does seem worth a look!

G

·
There spray guns are actually not that bad. I know of 3 guys using them in bodyshops daily, 2 of them being dealerships.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, this is to put a proper ending to this thread. I took a chance on buying the small scaler from HF, but it has done a good job. The paint was a very thick military green and was probably not like modern automotive paints that would have bonded to the metal better. It chipped the paint pretty good if you hold the scaler at about 45* and change directions often. Otherwise I don't think I could have gotten it cleaned between the webbing and tight spots. As usual it saps a small compressor fairly quick, but I don't see me using this thing very often anyway. ;D 

Attachments

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Toyradio said:
Bective is what I do. Some things have to be quality and name brand. Others that you know are one or two time use things you can cut corners on. When I can I intend to try out one of their wenches. The price seems right. But I will also purchase a snach block as well.
My buddy and I both bought one of they're winches. He mounted his on the front of his Jeep and it crapped out quick with water and mud wreaking havoc on in. I mounted mine in the the neck of my gooseneck trailer to drag up dead vehicles and after 3 years it's still going strong.

If you can keep it high and dry it will hold up. If you plan to use it for off road recovery buy a good Warn, Milemarker, etc. that is designed to hold up to the elements.

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
Psycoticredneck said:
If you can keep it high and dry it will hold up. If you plan to use it for off road recovery buy a good Warn, Milemarker, etc. that is designed to hold up to the elements.
I picked up an 8K Ramsey on a truck I just acquired and it's junk. It sat for 5 years with no use and it's all crap inside the motor. I took it apart today to find out why it wouldn't work and found out. :-\ No mud in it just moisture I guess. :-\

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
pir2 said:
Made me smile ;D
I don't know what they are selling in Texas, but it does seem worth a look!
This comment was about trying out wenches.

Our Harbor Freight is just down the street from Texas A&M. Wenches are plentiful here.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have had many tools from HF i liked them. I guess someone else did as well because they ripped me off  about 4000 dollars worth. and the investigator seems to not have any info about anything.even had a eye witness and the guy still is a free man. heard last week they guy that did it is a police nark.so I guess he has the OK to steal stuff and not have to worry about  going to jail.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts