Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy locks for my guns, I can't decide between trigger locks or then cable locks. I think the cable would be better, but I'm concerned with keeping the guns stored for long periods of time with the bolts locked to the rear (they're both semi-auto). Will this weaken the spring?

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Just buy the trigger locks. I have them on both of my guns and they are much better and easier to use than the cable locks.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
why not? I thought the cable lock would be better because with it installed you can't put a round in the chamber at all. With a trigger lock, a round can be put in the chamber, and there's the possibility that the gun could be jarred hard enough to make it go off.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
They just work easier for me. Being 20 and living at home with mom and dad, there aren't any little kids running around. My guns are in a gun safe, IMO I would rather not have the chambers open while they sit in the safe, just because dust and stuff gets in there(our gun safe is also our safe for car titles and stuff). On my shotgun I had a cable lock on it and one time when i was cleaning it before I used it(had been sitting in the safe for about 6 months) I found a paper clip in the chamber. Don't know how it got there or where it came from. But because there is so much traffic going in and out of the safe I decided to get a couple of trigger locks so that that wouldn't happen again. Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I have mine in a safe but the cable locks are good, and free here in Pickens County. ;D

·
Premium Member
11,506 Posts
loosewheelbob said:
why not? I thought the cable lock would be better because with it installed you can't put a round in the chamber at all. With a trigger lock, a round can be put in the chamber, and there's the possibility that the gun could be jarred hard enough to make it go off.
I've watched pistols get dropped from 10 to fifteen feet with a round in the chamber and not go off. Nowadays it's really hard to "jar" a pistol and make it go off, unless you have been playing with the trigger mechanics.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the info, i'm gonna try the cable locks, but rig up some kind of cover for the chamber, i never thought of things falling in there

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
cable locks are free to almost everyone, i will try to find the web site that tells you where to order them.

i have used both trigger locks and cable locks. only bad part about cable locks is a lot of bolt action rifles cannot use cable locks due to a solid or non removable floorplate in the magazine.

of the three trigger locks i have used, i can honestly say that if applied correctly there is no way they are going to allow the gun to go off, and unless you are very determined you cannot break one.

we accidentally lost the key to one of our trigger locks and it took us 3 hours to finally break it off of the rifle.

eric

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
loosewheelbob said:
thanks for the info, i'm gonna try the cable locks, but rig up some kind of cover for the chamber, i never thought of things falling in there
buy a safe.

if you cant do that fo with a cable lock. i like em better then the trigger blocks.

get the master lock brand cable locks. go throught the mag well and out the chamber. after its locked ride the bolt foward an let it sit on the cable. the master lock brand are plastic coated.

i dry fired my .357 with the trigger lock on it an i could still swing the cyliner out. same with my 12 gu but i had to grunt with it more.

G

·
I never kept any of my guns locked, I didnt even keep them in a safe until i started working for a gun store. even then i still didnt keep them all locked up. but i was the youngest person in the house
Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts