Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HOUSTON, TX—According to a recent Reuters News Service report, the "dead zone," an annually occurring area of oxygen-depleted water caused by nitrogen pollution, has spread across approximately 5,800 square miles of the Gulf of Mexico this summer, killing untold amounts of sea life.

Scientists say measurements show the dead zone now extends from the mouth of the Mississippi River in southeastern Louisiana to near the Texas border and is unusually close to shore this year because of strong winds and currents.

The dead zone's size varies each year depending on weather conditions, but it averages approximately 5,000 square miles and stays in place until late September or early October each year.

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
Nitrogen huh.

i wonder if sewage dumping could offset the nitrate levels in the water an cause that "Dead Zone"

·
Registered
682 Posts
side note but slightly related...........there was a recent kill, estimated at over a million, of Atlantic Croaker, off the mid-Atlantic coast. It was supposedly blamed on a massive water temperature variance [from the lower 70's to upper 30's to low 40's] that came about as a result of hurricane Alex. Apparently, Croakers aren't very good at adapting to the quick & massive a water temp change.

·
Registered
29,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
luke9-1-1 said:
side note but slightly related...........there was a recent kill, estimated at over a million, of Atlantic Croaker, off the mid-Atlantic coast. It was supposedly blamed on a massive water temperature variance [from the lower 70's to upper 30's to low 40's] that came about as a result of hurricane Alex. Apparently, Croakers aren't very good at adapting to the quick & massive a water temp change.
Is that going to hurt thier population size? what I mean is are they going to be "endangered"? I catch hundreds of those things off the Outer Banks in NC. does that mean there arent going to be any?

·
Registered
682 Posts
I don't think so Rory but it's hard to say for sure; there still seems to be a lot of them around in the bays along the coast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts