Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tower seems to be constantly "growling" softly (maybe humming is a better term) when it seems like it used to only do that when it was "thinking" before. Been through defrag and cleared cache but DSL connection is still slow to load sometimes. What more can I do?
Also...when signing on to AOL, another window automatically connects at the same time. It appears next to my AOL bar at the bottom of the page. It has a purple "bullhorn" like old high school bands used to use and it says "connected" but it doesn't do anything when I click on it. Right-click doesn't do anything either.
And...just for my info...when I do the ALT/CTRL/DEL to see what all is going on, I've got a load of things on there that don't mean a dang thing to me...(* are the ones I don't know)
AMERICA ONLINE
EXPLORER
REALPLAY
TRAYCLNT*
SAVENOW*
AVGCC32
DIRECTCD
RUNDLL*
RUNDLL32*
BBUI
MOTMON*
SYSTRAY*
AVGSERV9*
HPZTSBO2*
and occasionally these...
BACK WEB AGENT*
LOADGM*
OSD*
AOL* (even when AMERICA ONLINE is already at the top)
HP FINDER*
Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
to get some light in the dark for you in these, I don't know everything either, but lets see:

AMERICA ONLINE = AOL
EXPLORER = Windows Desktop
REALPLAY = Realnetworks Real Player
TRAYCLNT* = Tray is the place, where all the little Icons/ Clock are
SAVENOW* = no clue, some part of a program you load at startup
AVGCC32 = do you run Norton Antivirus? :)
DIRECTCD = DirectCD application of Adaptec/Roxio Easy CD Creator
RUNDLL* = Windows System
RUNDLL32* = Windows System
BBUI = no clue
MOTMON* = some System Monitor?
SYSTRAY* = The Program that displays all Icons/Clock AVGSERV9* = more Antivirus, I guess part of their update function
HPZTSBO2* = you're having a HP Printer?
and occasionally these...
BACK WEB AGENT* = = not sure
LOADGM* = no clue
OSD* = no clue
AOL* (even when AMERICA ONLINE is already at the top)
HP FINDER* = something from your printer

All in all, I can't really see something way out of the order. What operating System are you running. Sometimes, one software install will kill some other or at least make it not function like it used to....

G

·
Check your fan(s). The processor fan on mine died a few months ago and I never knew because the power supply fan drowns it out. The machine would almost but not quite boot properly. The little fan clamped onto the CPU had frozen and the chip was overheating, making it act stupid. Computer guy found and fixed it for $20.

Depending on your BIOS, you might be able to monitor processor temperature from the screen.

·
Registered
306 Posts
blue85prspctr said:
Check your fan(s). The processor fan on mine died a few months ago and I never knew because the power supply fan drowns it out. The machine would almost but not quite boot properly. The little fan clamped onto the CPU had frozen and the chip was overheating, making it act stupid. Computer guy found and fixed it for $20.

Depending on your BIOS, you might be able to monitor processor temperature from the screen.
monitoring system temps has nothing to do with the bios. You can view the system temps through the bios, but the sensors work completely independent of the bios. There are numerous windows applications available for observing the speed of your fans, the case temp, and the cpu temp. I like to use motherboard monitor 5. Not all mobos have these sensors (eccspecially boards sold with pre built computers)

-Brian

-brian

·
Registered
200 Posts
I recommend you do 4 things.

#1. Make sure you have an up to date Anti-virus program. Or, in other words, make sure your anti-virus program has up to date virus definitions. If not either buy a new antivirus program and then update it, or renew the subscription for the anti-virus program you already have. Then do a full system scan for viruses.

#2 Go to www.cnet.com and download Ad Aware. It removes spy ware programs like savenow. You can download it directly here: http://download.com.com/redir?pid=1...=2094&dlrs=1&destUrl=/3001-2094-10121984.html

Run it and check all boxes for areas to scan then check all boxes for items to remove from your system. You wont need to do a backup. But you can if you really want too.

#3 Download Pop-Up Stopper 2.92 also from www.cnet.com or here: http://download.com.com/redir?pid=1...9&ontId=2366&destUrl=/3001-2366-10170069.html

#4 Click start, Run, then type msconfig, click Ok. Go to the startup tab and then uncheck everything but your antivirus and the other programs that I just mentioned. Click Ok and then reboot when it asks. After rebooting check 'Do not show this message again' and click Ok.

EDIT:

oops, and for the growling. It could either be your CPU fan or the power supply fan. Most likely its the cpu fan. You can either replace it yourself, take it in to a shop, or call somone to come out and fix it for you. If your in northern CA I can come to you and fix it for you for 100 Dollars. That includes parts, travel and labor.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Savenow is a spy program? If that means what I think, what exactly is it doing (i.e. transmitting info on my comp. to someplace else)? I don't use my credit card #'s or store any important info on here because I don't know enough about this stuff to trust it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Here is text copied from www.pestpatrol.com regarding savenow. You can go there directly and read it here: http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/S/SaveNow_Adware.asp

SaveNow
Summary: A single process runs at startup which monitors open IE windows and opens adverts when it sees targeted URLs and terms entered into forms. Some distributions of this software were bundled with a "WhenUDownload" control.

One of the most pervasive pieces of piggyback software is dubbed "SaveNow," created by a company called WhenU.com. Distributed along with BearShare, iMesh and the Global DivX player that allows people to watch many online movies, it tracks where a person goes online and then pops up separate browser windows with targeted advertisements or special offers... continuously downloads updated information about new offers and keeps a record of where a person surfs on that person's own computer. It runs continually--even when the program it came with is not operating. Source

SaveNow is installed on your computer as a module that comes with WhenUShop or other software that you download from the Internet... There are a vast number of offers and services available to Internet users that SaveNow may display... SaveNow's offers and information are provided to users by showing a limited number of relevant coupons and ads in the form of interstitials ("pop-up ads") and other ad formats. These offers and ads are shown when users visit various sites across the Internet, based on URLs visited by the user and/or search terms typed into search engines and/or the HTML content of the page viewed by the user. SaveNow's offers are delivered independently from the site the user happens to be visiting when they see a SaveNow offer. Source

Collects info on user's gender, age, what area the person resides, and his or her e-mail address which they share with others. Other info collected: referrers (HTTP Referrers, Top-level Domains, Search Engines, Keywords, Quality Index, Frequency Index, Newsgroup Referrers, and E-mail Referrers), visitor statistics (Major ISPs, Hostnames, Browsers, OSes, Countries, Timezones, Plug-Ins, Screens, Colors, Java, and JavaScript), and more.

Category: Adware/Trackware.

Aliases: WhenU, the name of the company supplying the software.

Distribution: The BearShare Gnutella client and the RadLight video player are known to deliver SaveNow.

Advertising? Yes. SaveNow keeps a list of URLs and terms it is interested in on disk, in the file 'SaveNow\savenow.db' in Program Files. This file is obfuscated but it is trivial to decode.* The (large - often over a megabyte) file maps from these targets to advertisements to serve, which are downloaded through Akamai's proxies.

Privacy Violation? As well as downloading the pop-up ads, SaveNow connects to WhenU's servers to log the ad impression. It passes the name of the affiliate software which installed the software, the ID of the advert being shown, and the site URL or term that caused the pop-up to be triggered.

Security Issues? No.

Stability Problems? Yes. Can cause frequent crashes.

Privacy Policy: Privacy policy.
Vendor: SaveNow. WhenU, makers of SaveNow
Detection: PestPatrol detects this pest.

Removal: PestPatrol removes this pest.

Manual Removal: For more removal instructions, read what Microsoft says.

Can be removed from the Control Panel's 'Add/Remove Programs' entry. If the 'WhenUDownload' object (which the script here detects) was installed, this is not removed by this facility.

Open regedit and go to the key:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Remove the 'SaveNow' value. Open the Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del) and kill the 'SaveNow' process. You should now be able to delete the 'SaveNow' directory in Program Files.

If the 'WhenUDwonload' object is installed, fo to 'Internet Options -> Temporary Internet Files -> Settings -> View Objects -> WhenUDownload -> Remove'.

More Info: About Spyware
Blocking Ads
Microsoft's Knowledge Base article mentioning stability problems with SaveNow

Research By: Andrew Clover
PestPatrol's Pest Research Center

·
Registered
422 Posts
smoothedge69 said:
you are running DSL. Alot of that crap is directly related to DSL, and has to run for your connection to work. My girlfriend had DSL for awhile, and I went into msconfig to see what was in her startup. Well i found all this crap. so i disabled all of it, and just left things like AIM, and whatever Norton, and Windows needed. Well then she couldn't get online. DSL has all kinds of programs that it needs to run. I would say ditch the DSL. Get cable. nothing needs to run for it to work, and it is much faster, and doesn't eat your memory. Can't help with the mystery window. Might be the control panel for the DSL.
Bobby
ummm no get a new isp ;D I've got dsl and I don't have a damn thinking installed for it.... anyways he's not got dsl... notice him talking about connecting and such..... modem......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts