Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just another little piece of info for the newbies and the "well seasoned" wrenchers!

I had everything wired and running well. Lights and everything, well last night I turned the lights on and nothing-Well actually I had lights come on that were not even hooked into the circuit I switched on. So after some serious butt scratching and having a hard time sleeping I went to the garage and started working this morning. 4 hours later I figured out that I did not have adequate ground to the frame. I tore almost half the relays and stuff out before figuring out my bumpers had 12 volts going to them. I put a test lead on the negative post of the battery and the other to the bumpers and 12 volts. So I ground the bumpers to the body and everything works. So if you don't think grounds that run to the engine/frame/body are important then you may want to think again.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's an 87 RC-as far as I know it is negative ground/aren't most vehicles negative ground? I do not have a therory or really understand it. I am and still am as confused as I was last night.

1) I rewired the truck and everything worked fine.
2) Last night the light stop working and lights that should not have come on did when flipping switches.
3) When I took a piece of wire and hooked it too the body and then to the frame the lights work properly/take the wire off and they do not work properly.
4) Checked for continuity between frame and body with the wire unattached and I have no continuity/attach the wire and I have continuity.

As far as I know it is negative ground-What exactly a positive ground is I do not know but if you could explain it to me then I would apprecitate it.

I just thought that is why it is important to make sure you have good body to frame to engine grounds.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well, a positive ground vehicle would have the positive at body/frame and the negative in wires -- just like you happened to attach the battery the opposite way. Presumed all the sensitive stuff (computer etc.) was connected correctly, it would work just as well as it does with the standard negative-ground vehicles, but it would rust more.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Well, I have a black battery cable from the pass side frame to the pass sie head, and a black battery cable fromthe drivers side frame to the drivers side head, and another black battery cable from the rear frame to the body......

think that is enough ground wires ???

LOL

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like enough wires to me-However that is what is puzzling me-I did not have the batteries hooked incorrectly. I have the positive going to each side of the battery isolator and the grounds going to the heads. I may have to double check and make sure something isn't hooked up wrong but until last night everything worked perfectly...I double and triple checked my work as I wired but who knows I may have crossed something somewhere but it all works now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts