Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 82 dodge p/u with a 727 auto tranny, not sure of the t-case. The dana 44 up is from an 89 ram charger with all time 4wd hubs. Today when I tried to engage 4wd it made this horrible grinding noise, so I left it in 2wd, then the truck 'hiccuped' and almost stalled when I hit the gas in forward or reverse. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I tried to put it in 4wd with the truck stopped in neutral, but I don't know if I have to leave it in drive and come to a stop when I do, or be driving like 2-3mph or what.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
An '82 model is a part time "shift on the fly" model.  You should be able to shift from 2HI to 4HI at a steady constant speed under 35 MPH with a light pull of the lever.  To get to 4LO you will need to come to a complete stop, shift the transmission to Neutral and shift to 4LO.  You sort of have to shift it a little quick as sometimes the transmission will still slowly rotate the output shaft even when in neutral with no load on the shaft.  If you pause in Neutral when going to 4LO, it will sometimes grind a little.  The correct shift instructions can normally be found on a label on the driver's sunvisor if the label still exists.  If it grinds while doing it correctly then you have a issue with the transfer case, usually low fluid or a broken shift fork or similar.  Your transfer case should be a NP208 model.  The truck originally would have had automatic hubs but those fail at a ridiculous rate and most of the time are swapped to regular manual hubs at some point in the life of the truck.  Naturally manual hubs will need to be locked in before you can "shift on the fly".   ;)

Oh and the correct fluid for a NP208 is Dexron ATF.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow thanks:] I forgot to specify that it went into 4h fine, and it seemed to be in 4wd. It's when I went to shift into 4L it grinded like a stick shift or something, I'm going to check the t-case fluid tomorrow, and try to maybe spray some PB Blaster on the shaft, it seemed kinda stiff. I figured it was a NP208 but just wasn't sure and the label is deffinatly not on the visor anymore haha. Thanks for the help though :) Any suggestions for the 'hiccup' though? It was more like a sputter as soon as I put my foot on the gas..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts